PDA

View Full Version : War againts piracy is that fair or every things should be GPL ?

gayan kalhara
03-10-2009, 06:27 PM
AN OPEN LETTER TO HOBBYISTS

By William Henry Gates III February 3, 1976

To me, the most critical thing in the hobby market right now is the lack of good software courses, books and software itself. Without good software and an owner who understands programming, a hobby computer is wasted. Will quality software be written for the hobby market?

Almost a year ago, Paul Allen and myself, expecting the hobby market to expand, hired Monte Davidoff and developed Altair BASIC. Though the initial work took only two months, the three of us have spent most of the last year documenting, improving and adding features to BASIC. Now we have 4K, 8K, EXTENDED, ROM and DISK BASIC. The value of the computer time we have used exceeds $40,000.

The feedback we have gotten from the hundreds of people who say they are using BASIC has all been positive. Two surprising things are apparent, however, 1) Most of these "users" never bought BASIC (less than 10% of all Altair owners have bought BASIC), and 2) The amount of royalties we have received from sales to hobbyists makes the time spent on Altair BASIC worth less than $2 an hour.

Why is this? As the majority of hobbyists must be aware, most of you steal your software. Hardware must be paid for, but software is something to share. Who cares if the people who worked on it get paid?

Is this fair? One thing you don't do by stealing software is get back at MITS for some problem you may have had. MITS doesn't make money selling software. The royalty paid to us, the manual, the tape and the overhead make it a break-even operation. One thing you do do is prevent good software from being written. Who can afford to do professional work for nothing? What hobbyist can put 3-man years into programming, finding all bugs, documenting his product and distribute for free? The fact is, no one besides us has invested a lot of money in hobby software. We have written 6800 BASIC, and are writing 8080 APL and 6800 APL, but there is very little incentive to make this software available to hobbyists. Most directly, the thing you do is theft.

What about the guys who re-sell Altair BASIC, aren't they making money on hobby software? Yes, but those who have been reported to us may lose in the end. They are the ones who give hobbyists a bad name, and should be kicked out of any club meeting they show up at.

I would appreciate letters from any one who wants to pay up, or has a suggestion or comment. Just write to me at 1180 Alvarado SE, #114, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87108. Nothing would please me more than being able to hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market with good software.

Bill Gates
General Partner, Micro-Soft

at the mid 1975, the bill gates wrote this open letter to homebrove PC club. and this one is considering as the 1st action against Software looting( personally i don't like to called the PIRACY. but its the common word)

till then this subject is the most argued topic in IT world. and personally i dun agree to this. now its changed. so we need a discussion. these factors really confused me. long time ago. i think every one have their own decisions on this matter.. can we share ?

major facts

Why is this? As the majority of hobbyists must be aware, most of you steal your software. Hardware must be paid for, but software is something to share. Who cares if the people who worked on it get paid?
Who can afford to do professional work for nothing? What hobbyist can put 3-man years into programming, finding all bugs, documenting his product and distribute for free?:no::no::no::no:=========================
there is a reply named "Second and Final Letter" by bill gates. but i couldn't find that. any one have it . please gv me. I'll give you the exact pic of this 1st letter.

gayan kalhara
03-10-2009, 06:28 PM
letter 1

http://www.blinkenlights.com/classiccmp/gateswhine.html

chathu456
03-10-2009, 06:35 PM
i know u are a big fan of open source.. but let me ask u this.. if u wer bill gates and u r the one who invented windows and made a revolution in IT industry.., and when u know u can make millions of dollars using ur hard work.. will u give it free?

gayan kalhara
03-10-2009, 06:42 PM
i know u are a big fan of open source.. but let me ask u this.. if u wer bill gates and u r the one who invented windows and made a revolution in IT industry.., and when u know u can make millions of dollars using ur hard work.. will u give it free?
hey hey hey.. pls read wht i'm really upto..pls read.

honestly I do. but in a gud way.. not with facisum. :)

I dun turn whole world to me. I just turn to them.. thats my way..

PS:: I'm not a fan of Open Source. I'm disagree with them.. I'm a fan of Freedom.. in these days 2 camps out there.

1 Actual FREEDOM camp
2 Open Source camp

I belong to FREEDOME...

OSs is just a part of FREEDOM

gayan kalhara
03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
any ideas ??

I hate doubt on this matter.. since the beginning

chathu456
03-10-2009, 06:57 PM
hey hey hey.. pls read wht i'm really upto..pls read.

honestly I do. but in a gud way.. not with facisum. :)

I dun turn whole world to me. I just turn to them.. thats my way..

PS:: i not a fan of Open Source. I'm disagree with them.. I'm a fan of FREEdome.. in these days there are 2 camps out there.

1 actual FREEDOM
2 Open SOurce

I belong to FREEDOME...

OSs is just a part of FREEDOM

hehe yeah i read.. but u have some problem with bill gates.. dont u??
anywayz wat im telling is.., ubuntu linux unix or watevr OS wudnt hav been produced if bill gates didnt develop windows first.. and nobody can say that ubuntu linux n unix are their own products which were developed their own.. cuz they all based on windows theory..only the GUI n brand names were changed.. people copied from bill gates and made free softwares.. i accept that freedom is damn great.. who wouldnt like to have softwares or watevr at ZERO cost..
but wen it comes to piracy.. people are still used to work on windows.. these companies are making millions of money with help of softwares.. may be garments.. hotels.. etc.. watevr the field their company is they need IT to grow up.. they earn hell alot of money.. but they dont leagalize their copies of softwares.. is dat fair enuf? for us who cares wethr bill gates gets paid for using his softwares.. but the fact is dat itz illegal.. and itz unfair.. if we think in USERS' point of view we are still criminals.. Intellectual property Rights is da law.. wat we break using piracy.. so we are wrong as users.. if we think in BILL GATE's point of view.., people are using our hard work for free.. spent nights without sleeping for this.. but i dont get the real value of my hard work... so bill gates is correct.. he deserves each n every dollar we should pay for his softwares..

cha_sl
03-10-2009, 07:04 PM
long live ' thepiratebay'

who's gonna pay for the crack makers, they deserve it more than Bill Gates.

:D

gayan kalhara
03-10-2009, 07:21 PM
hehe yeah i read.. but u have some problem with bill gates.. dont u??

you are telling me WHAT? i think you have mixed up this thread with my previous ones..

PERSONALLY I DUN HAVE ANY THING WITH BILL GATES. ITS ONLY WITH HIS VISION.

anywayz wat im telling is.., ubuntu linux unix or watevr OS wudnt hav been produced if bill gates didnt develop windows first.. and nobody can say that ubuntu linux n unix are their own products which were developed their own.. cuz they all based on windows theory..only the GUI n brand names were changed.. people copied from bill gates and made free softwares.. i accept that freedom is damn great.. who wouldnt like to have softwares or watevr at ZERO cost..

you are talking without a proper knowladge beside Windows as i think. please take a look at every source. and come back.. :D

You are telling me the Bill Gates is the Founder of modern oss and we hv just copied :D :D I'm really sorry about you..

k lets gv up the FOSS. wht about macs ? .. at the Windows 1. they hv just copied the mac. even m$ developers agree with this fact.and also. the BASIC. its the m$s Os before windows was JUST A COPY of BASIC and actually with the same name.(but we have to appiciate the FAT file system. its not a copy and its really a revoluation, but can you show FOSS coping FAT??) hik hik and every thing. almost every thing windows introduce. is already done with others. :D but their marketing tech coverd the whole. THIS IS THE POINT I HATE M$.. not the person.

and also. the linux based the UNIX. the UNIX was invented FAR before dos or windows.. and the DOS. (please cheq all of them out)

i appriciate your comment but. please remove the color glasses and look around with clear eyes.

but wen it comes to piracy.. people are still used to work on windows.. these companies are making millions of money with help of softwares.. may be garments.. hotels.. etc.. watevr the field their company is they need IT to grow up.. they earn hell alot of money.. but they dont leagalize their copies of softwares.. is dat fair enuf? for us who cares wethr bill gates gets paid for using his softwares.. but the fact is dat itz illegal.. and itz unfair.. if we think in USERS' point of view we are still criminals.. Intellectual property Rights is da law.. wat we break using piracy.. so we are wrong as users.. if we think in BILL GATE's point of view.., people are using our hard work for free.. spent nights without sleeping for this.. but i dont get the real value of my hard work... so bill gates is correct.. he deserves each n every dollar we should pay for his softwares..

What the point of messing up alltym with this MICROSOFT, BILL GATES, LINUX things?? i dun get you .:baffled::baffled:

but i agree with some of your ideas on piracy. NOT THE LAST LINE

gayan kalhara
03-10-2009, 07:24 PM
PLEASE GUYS, DUN MIX THIS THEAD WITH ME AND MY PERSONAL image/ideas/feeling/works.

THIS IS A TOTALLY DIFF THING

gayan kalhara
03-10-2009, 07:25 PM
long live ' thepiratebay'

who's gonna pay for the crack makers, they deserve it more than Bill Gates.

:D

he he h hehe thats a POINT..

:D :D :D :D

gayan kalhara
03-10-2009, 07:44 PM
any ideas/ doubts / blames ??

nagaya
03-10-2009, 07:47 PM
then who'll pay FOSS community as chathu tells abt BG :oo:

gayan kalhara
03-10-2009, 08:40 PM
then who'll pay FOSS community as chathu tells abt BG :oo:

yep i think he got a wrong idea. lyk the BG is the Founder of modern OSes and he owns every things.... thats the M$ addiction that i told yesterday...

HOW CAN WE BE FREE. IF WE LYK TO BE IN PRISON AND AFRAID TO OPEN WORLD... I'm not pointing any one. this is the major prob. when spreading FOSS

:::::::::::::::::::OUT TOPIC::::;;;;;;;;;;

I'm developing (remastering) a linux distro for SL. and I finished and realease 2 Beta distros. and beta 3 and final is on the way..

I have spent over 10 000 for these 2 beta releases. and i esimate the official release may take about another 3000k..

WHO GONNA PAY ME ?? gv me the answer chathu... WHO GONNA PAY ME ???

I'm not expecting any amount from anyone. i gv it away TOTALLY FREELY.. What about that. mr Bill gates son :D

gayan kalhara
03-10-2009, 08:41 PM
any IDEAS ?

nagaya
03-10-2009, 08:51 PM
yep i think he got a wrong idea. lyk the BG is the Founder of modern OSes and he owns every things.... thats the M$ addiction that i told yesterday...

HOW CAN WE BE FREE. IF WE LYK TO BE IN PRISON AND AFRAID TO OPEN WORLD... I'm not pointing any one. this is the major prob. when spreading FOSS

:::::::::::::::::::OUT TOPIC::::;;;;;;;;;;

I'm developing (remastering) a linux distro for SL. and I finished and realease 2 Beta distros. and beta 3 and final is on the way..

I have spent over 10 000 for these 2 beta releases. and i esimate the official release may take about another 3000k..

WHO GONNA PAY ME ?? gv me the answer chathu... WHO GONNA PAY ME ???

I'm not expecting any amount from anyone. i gv it away TOTALLY FREELY.. What about that. mr Bill gates son :D

but DOS is a prurchased OS for freelancer by BG :rolleyes:

gayan kalhara
03-10-2009, 09:07 PM
but DOS is a prurchased OS for freelancer by BG :rolleyes:

hik

M$ BASIC also .. its a copy of BAsic ...

a perchasing is one thing. but EXTRACTING WITHOUT MENTION the CREATER.. Is nt fair ne.

SO both of us are pirates. (we and M$)

=============

but here i'm nt going to ask abut M$ is rite or wrong...

hey how you gonna review soft Piracy?

Out topic :: @ nagaya for your Vid cap prupose.. try ubuntu studio. distro :D i never used it. but i think its possible

gayan kalhara
03-10-2009, 09:17 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::oo::rolleyes::rolle yes::rolleyes:

madurax86
03-10-2009, 09:36 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::oo::rolleyes::rolle yes::rolleyes:
come on man you think people work at canonical limited for free? novell for free? they are payed but something i cant figure out is that how the hell do other linux developers live without a proper income?
surely they are working on other business companies

gayan kalhara
03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
come on man you think people work at canonical limited for free? novell for free? they are payed but something i cant figure out is that how the hell do other linux developers live without a proper income?
surely they are working on other business companies

HELL NO.. I dun say that. couz I'm earning via writting smalls apps for linx eather. and others too. especially comps lyk Canonical and redhat team..

canonical having a gud income via their products/donations.

he he..

thats not the point i put up here.. i asked beond the FOSS things. I'm asking about the piracy.things :).. is that fair? or nt...

what the vendors upto eliminate them.. and how we gonna act :D

madurax86
03-10-2009, 10:16 PM
HELL NO.. I dun say that. couz I'm earning via writting smalls apps for linx eather. and others too. especially comps lyk Canonical and redhat team..

canonical having a gud income via their products/donations.

he he..

thats not the point i put up here.. i asked beond the FOSS things. I'm asking about the piracy.things :).. is that fair? or nt...

what the vendors upto eliminate them.. and how we gonna act :D

Piracy is fair if the company has enough income to pay its workers the problem starts when smaller companies go down, MS is not small so pirating from them is ok but its too not good :P mokate ochara horakan karane unta apita one ganata dena bari nam onnaaa :P

madurax86
03-10-2009, 10:21 PM
ade math ube bloggya dakala wordpress eken blogyak haduwa LOL lole lol dan ithin eka update koranawada blogger.com update koranwada kiyala hithaganda ba reddha hosting gathe 000webhost.com eken eka aul da? hitapu gaman down da?

ratedrkoman
03-10-2009, 10:49 PM
what i think is piracy is fair when companies like microsoft price their products at an unaffordable rate
people like us really can't buy those stuff
MS peeps r making billionz n billionz of profits every quarter
why in the hell can't they throw in some softwares for free ?? :P

gayan kalhara
03-11-2009, 05:16 AM
Piracy is fair if the company has enough income to pay its workers the problem starts when smaller companies go down, MS is not small so pirating from them is ok but its too not good :P mokate ochara horakan karane unta apita one ganata dena bari nam onnaaa :P

thats the point, many of them trying to dictate us via their products. ehema unaama Pirate karana eketh fair thamai dA? ;) .

Can't we switch for the Cheaper ones or FREE ones or. make our uiniqe one. (like Chine/ koria/ afirica / and even USA) ??

gayan kalhara
03-11-2009, 05:21 AM
what i think is piracy is fair when companies like microsoft price their products at an unaffordable rate
people like us really can't buy those stuff
MS peeps r making billionz n billionz of profits every quarter
why in the hell can't they throw in some softwares for free ?? :P

actually not only m$. every one of todays major comps doing the same way. couz they know. at the users end the Vendor is the GOD. :D

but i can't accept things lyk windows Starter edition (REALLY SUX. Its introduce to reduce the piracy. and its part of their ADDICT pro too.)

layya2
04-21-2009, 04:00 PM
ok ive gone through wat ur trying to say here..
i need some things to be cleared.

1. Lets just assume we stop using pirate copies of softwares of BG or any other company..then wat are our alternatives??
2. Would that alternatives be as efficient as using existing softwares available for us through interent or through black market. i mean honestly me mysel dont knw how to operate a machine with any other OS other than Windows.. im prerry sure there are so many people like me..
3. U hvnt made it clear which side r u in..? Against software piracy or not??I need some solid reasons why u say so..?

I think u can help me with this cause im still catching up wats been told here..
thnx

by the way im pretty interested with ur theard..good work