PDA

View Full Version : Esperanto

ama_li
02-08-2007, 12:21 PM
This man-made language was created by Dr. L.L. Zamenhof in 1887. It was designed to be an international language, that is, many people' second language, and not to replace any national tongue. It was also designed to be an easy-to-learn second language, and is apparently here to stay and is by far the most popular of the man-made languages, though not without its critics. Esperanto means hopeful, and its speakers are hopeful that it will be accepted for what it is. Because Esperantists (Esperanto speakers) are dispersed throughout the world, it sometimes unites people who speak vastly different languages (i.e. China and Mexico) and who do not necessarily speak English well if at all.

Usefulness
Because it is a man-made and not a national language, one may doubt the usefulness of Esperanto.However, if you compare it to national languages with the same number of speakers (over 2 million, the same as Lithuanian, Latvian, Slovenian, or Tongan), the national languages mentioned are considerably less useful than Esperanto because their speakers are generally concentrated in only one geographical region. Compare this to Esperanto, which boasts small numbers of speakers spread throughout the entire world. The fact that you can find speakers of a language in a large number of different countries would make Esperanto appear more useful than it appears at first glance. Also, Esperanto has been proposed by some (though not all agree) computer linguists to be used to program and interact with a computer on the grounds that it would be easier to teach a man-made language to a man-made computer than to teach it an irregular, exclusionary national language.

Beauty
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the rhythm of Esperanto reminds me of Italian and the cadence of the spoken language feels like Latin mass, with the difference being that it is easier to understand. It is beautiful in its poetic rhythm, and logic.

Chic factor
This seems to be a touchy subject among Esperantists, because many speakers are intellectuals, by that I mean, intelligent, highly well-read, and somewhat independent in spirit. Esperanto has received a lot of criticism (much of it undeserved) for the fact that it aims to be neutral, and not allied with any nation. As a result, some Esperanto proponents are a little defensive on the subject, but if you try to learn it, other speakers will welcome and encourage you to succeed. In my experience, I have met only hard-working, intelligent, and genuinely helpful volunteer tutors who really want Esperanto to be respected as a language should be.

Speakers
Definition... Over 2 million.

Countries
Total Countries: Speakers of Esperanto are located (via various Esperanto clubs) throughout the world, including but not limited to: U.S. (in practically every state), Canada, U.K., and most other English-speaking countries, China, Japan, Finland, France, Germany, Portugal, Netherlands, Brazil, and many other countries.

Regional variations
One could argue (as some opponents of the language have) that each Esperanto speaker inadvertently adds his own mother tongue accent to Esperanto and thus creates an individual dialect of this intended international language, but if the simple pronunciation rules are adhered to, this does not constitute a problem. One factor which helps to prevent this problem from occurring is that many Esperanto speakers communicate through the internet, which currently remains a written medium, so the accents do not enter into the communication. Speakers of the language do speak it together when meeting, however, and accents do not seem to hinder communication. Look at English for example, English speakers, with exposure, easily learn to understand most non-native attempts at speaking, and this has increased, not diminished, the effectiveness of English.

Travel
An International Esperanto Congress is held annually, past cities which have hosted it include Seoul, Prague, and Adelaide. Theoretically, you can travel anywhere in the world and be able to find a club of Esperanto speakers near you, though it will not get you through any airports or custom checks, so as a second or third language, it doesn't hurt to speak it, and you will definitely make friends if you find another person who speaks it. Unfortunately, there is no Esperanto cuisine, so you can't get free food portions by speaking it as you can with some languages, and you would need to seek out Esperantists to find them when travelling.

Culture
The Internet has been a boost for the Esperanto community, allowing a proliferation of chat rooms and clubs, as well as dissemination of scientific papers, novels, science-fiction, poetry, translated works, and other real literature in Esperanto. Not surprisingly though, Esperantists seem to spend a lot of time discussing Esperanto, and defending it from skeptics.

Anybody interested in learning Esperanto?

Anusha
02-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Anybody interested in learning Esperanto?
Nope!

Tissaka
02-08-2007, 07:21 PM
thanks

prasadana2
02-08-2007, 07:24 PM
nope..??

lawanya
02-08-2007, 07:29 PM
no thanku :):):):):):)

Kasunm
02-10-2007, 12:00 AM