PDA

View Full Version : Goals we have in life...

kalyanamithra
06-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Dear friends,

I'm presenting few points for us to think; to discuss so that we may get more insight into our lives.

We have many goals in our life at any given moment.

We set goals; work hard towards them; achieve some of them; change couple of them; and perhaps fail to achieve the rest.

Can we survive in the society without these goals or the challenge of achieving them?

Do we have 'pursuing Dhamma' among these goals? Is it possible/needed to set aside some time in our busy lives to realize what life is?

Can we realize the meaning of life without Dhamma?

Theruwan saranai

VASSA
06-24-2008, 12:48 PM
lassna ID name ekak...oyage adahasuth lassanai.....keep posting machang

rapa
06-24-2008, 02:39 PM
sometimes we can realize life somewhat without damma
but the problem is we don't know it is right or wrong with out damma
"kenekuge sitha daramayen pehedennath puluwan adaramayen pehedennath puluwan"

kalyanamithra
06-25-2008, 07:12 AM
sometimes we can realize life somewhat without damma
but the problem is we don't know it is right or wrong with out damma
"kenekuge sitha daramayen pehedennath puluwan adaramayen pehedennath puluwan"
Dear friend,
Your comment is not what I would have imagined! :cool: It's really good that you made it; because we would have missed an important aspect of the discussion if it hadn't been for this comment... :)
I am going to make a statement:

"One will not miss Dhamma if he/she is not aware of it...
And he/she might live a happy contented life..." :rofl:

Just think of those not aware of Dhamma; do they miss anything in their lives? No (I hope you'd agree...)

Why is that? (Am I wrong? or Can my statement be explained?)
Then why should we pursue Dhamma?

Hope carrying on the discussion like this would be more beneficial...

Theruwan saranai

chanaka_1987
06-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Dear friends,

I'm presenting few points for us to think; to discuss so that we may get more insight into our lives.

We have many goals in our life at any given moment.

We set goals; work hard towards them; achieve some of them; change couple of them; and perhaps fail to achieve the rest.

Can we survive in the society without these goals or the challenge of achieving them?

Do we have 'pursuing Dhamma' among these goals? Is it possible/needed to set aside some time in our busy lives to realize what life is?

Can we realize the meaning of life without Dhamma?

Theruwan saranai

I personally think that since we are living the life of a gihiya, We should have goals related to this world. Goals give us the satisfaction of achieving something. And we need goals to keep us motivated throughout life. But sometimes I just wonder why we go through it at all. We try to make this life more comfortable by achieving goals, but we never take any of the material things we earned to our next life. But I just keep saying to myself that till I can achieve nibbana I should lead a life which is good and helpful. But I think this is just me trying to justify the ignorance.

djHiran
06-28-2008, 10:59 AM
If you can realize what life is without refering to dhamma you become a Pase Buddha.

kalyanamithra
06-28-2008, 02:31 PM
I personally think that since we are living the life of a gihiya, We should have goals related to this world. Goals give us the satisfaction of achieving something. And we need goals to keep us motivated throughout life. But sometimes I just wonder why we go through it at all. We try to make this life more comfortable by achieving goals, but we never take any of the material things we earned to our next life. But I just keep saying to myself that till I can achieve nibbana I should lead a life which is good and helpful. But I think this is just me trying to justify the ignorance.

It may seem a good idea (at first glance) to think that "till I can achieve nibbana I should lead a life which is good and helpful". Yes, it is because of our ignorance.

Let's consider the following (It's not an example of mine). Have you seen dreams in which we undergo things we do not like; desperately without no control on how they go on? See how selfless our mind is! Can we expect to have control (without making use of Dhamma) even at the time of death? So is it reasonable for us to expect to lead a good and helpful life throughout the Samsara?

I think we tend to wish like that (i.e. being good and helpful till we attain Nibbana) because of the partial truth we have heard about Bodhisathvas. Bodhisathvas are exceptional beings trying to seek and end to suffering owing to pure compassion towards the world. As they are not Arya Shrawakas, they have to undergo sufferings (e.g. in Niraya) like other beings.

Sammasambuddha Gautama never advocated going in the samsara like that (One can verify this easily by examine the Suttas). Why? because of compassion... How can a person filled with compassion ask another to try to find the Path when it's already known?

Person seeing the danger/peril of samsaraic existence will not postpone the attempt to Nibabna.

As revealed in Ajitha Sutta (Parayanaya Vagga) Avijja we are covered with is not visible because of Pamada (neligence/ reluctance to practice Dhamma) and Vevichcha (avarice/ greed for material wealth) (veviccha, pamada nappakasati).
[Deshana on it by Ven. Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero: http://www.gautamabuddha.org/downloads/mp3/5/5.6_Ajetha_Sutta%20.mp3 ]

See how true it is? It's not a wonder that most of us do not feel like pursuing Dhamma even when Dhamma is available in our own language!

Why are we reluctant to pursue Dhamma? We are afraid that we will loose the interest (rather 'greed') on materialistic world!

A person aware of Dhamma will not worry about that. One may live with pleasures of lay life till he/she reaches the Non-returner (Anagami) state... The person would escape from most of the suffering even if he/she can cheive Stream-enter (Sothapaththi) state.

Should we loose the rare chance we've got because of Pamada and Vevichcha like we may have done throughout our samsaraic existence?

Theruwan saranai!

djHiran
06-28-2008, 02:35 PM
It may seem a good idea (at first glance) to think that "till I can achieve nibbana I should lead a life which is good and helpful". Yes, it is because of our ignorance.

Have you seen dreams in which we undergo things we do not like; desperately without no control on how they go on... See how selfless our mind is! Can we expect to have control (without making use of Dhamma) even at the time of death? So is it reasonable for us to expect to lead a good and helpful life throughout the Samsara?

I think we tend to wish like that (i.e. being good and helpful till we attain Nibbana) because of the partial truth we have heard about Bodhisathvas. Bodhisathvas are exceptional being trying to seek and end to suffering owing to pure compassion towards the world. As they are not Arya Shrawakas, they have to undergo sufferings (e.g. in Niraya) like other beings.

Sammasambuddha Gautama never advocated going in the samsara like that (You can verify this easily if you examine the Suttas). Why? because of compassion... How can a person filled with compasion ask another to try to find the Path when it's already known?

Person seing the danger/peril of samsaraic existence will not postpone the attempt to Nubabna.

As revealed in Ajitha Sutta (Parayanaya Vagga) Avijja we are covered with is not visible because of Pamada (neligence/ reluctance to practice Dhamma) and Vevichcha (avarice/ greed for material wealth) (veviccha, pamada nappakasati).
[Deshana on it by Ven. Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero: http://www.gautamabuddha.org/downloads/mp3/5/5.6_Ajetha_Sutta%20.mp3 ]

See how true it is? It's not a wonder that most of us do not feel like pursuing Dhamma even when Dhamma is available in our own language!

Why are we reluctant to pursue Dhamma? We are afraid that we will loose the interest (rather 'greed') on materialistic world!

A person aware of Dhamma will not worry about that. One may live with pleasures of lay life till he/she reaches the Non-returner (Anagami) state... The person would escape from most of the suffering even if he/she can cheive Stream-enter (Sothapaththi) state.

Should we loose the rare chance we've got because of Pamada and Vevichcha like we may have done throughtout our samsaraic existence?

Theruwan saranai!
Exactly!

phantomzone
06-28-2008, 02:41 PM
so wat r u sayin ma frd...r u telin to let go all da goals in our lives n hav dhamma goals...:rofl: :rofl: :P...

kalyanamithra
06-28-2008, 03:08 PM
No, my friend. To start practicing Dhamma (with knowledge of its true aim) amidst all our household chores.. That is the Path taken by lay disciples even at the time of Buddha...

We will loose the chance if we just focus on our 'lay goals' and try to modify Dhamma to suit them (see this is what we've been doing for several decades... we were not aware of the aim of Dhamma... most of us knew nothing but Pansil as the core of Dhamma).

Theruwan saranai!

Aragorn
06-28-2008, 03:24 PM
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

kalyanamithra
06-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Dear friend,

A good instance on how Dhamma sees lay prosperity/welfare is found in Dighajanu (Vyagghapajja) Sutta of Anguttara Nikaya. This was revealed because a Brahmin by name Dighajanu specifically seeks advice that suits a lay person.

A Deshana on the Sutta by Ven. Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero is found in two parts on
http://www.gautamabuddha.org/downloads/mp3/8/8.4_Wayaggapajja_Sutta1.mp3
http://www.gautamabuddha.org/downloads/mp3/8/8.5_Wayaggapajja_Sutta2.mp3As you may already know sole materialistic development is not advocated by Sammasambuddha Gautama to lay disciples! Any sensible person has a vague idea of what's acceptable by a society... A Sammasambuddha is not needed to preach just the five percepts (Pansil).

One may realize how 'modern' (e.g. concepts like research, management... ) the view of lay life Dhamma has (esp. if you listen to the elaborations in these audio files). And we can realize from them how little we Sri Lankans have taken from advice given for our lay life.

It is some monks in the recent times who are trying to suppress the Four Noble Truths by providing a 'materialistic interpretations of Dhamma', highlighting small small extracts from the Suttas. I have to say with pity that not even Devadatta tried this; even he highlighted the Four Noble Truths and said that he have a 'shorter' path!

Please do not be fooled by these monks (because it is our life that we ruin, if we follow something else as Dhamma); refer to original Suttas if you are in doubt of the aim of Dhamma.

Dhamma doesn't except all of us to become monks! Unfortunately we have a myth that a person would take up robes if he/she starts practicing Dhamma; this is why parents are afraid when they see children practicing Dhamma. It's time to see how 'Buddhist' we are; and shed these myths.

See all four Bikkhu, Bikkhuni, Upasaka and Upasika are in the Buddha Sashana. Dhamma can be gradually developed in our lives; one need not worry he/she will loose Tanha and will not be able to lead a 'normal' life (why? it's not that easy...). Ultimate aim is Nibbana (and all four groups know that); the lay and the monks may reach it in different pace.

Let's try to understand the aim of Dhamma. Following it or not is a personal decision; but person knowing what/ why Dhamma states would know what to do...

Theruwan saranai!

kalyanamithra
06-29-2008, 12:58 AM
I am posting this because I feel it relevant to this topic...

A Picasa web album has been created by user: "Srawakaya" about "Happy Greens"; an organization being formed under Mahamevnawa with four aims
a humane society
an environmental friend society
prosperous society
Dhammachari society (a society that practices Dhamma)Album URL: http://picasaweb.google.com/srawakaya/Happy_greens

Another nice work by Shrawakaya (http://www.elakiri.com/forum/member.php?u=76359).. :) Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/kalyanamithra/SGaPe8Tt9DI/AAAAAAAAA1E/d_SEhyZJ29c/s288/happy%20greens.jpg

Theruwan saranai!

Sudantha_s
06-29-2008, 01:09 AM
I am posting this because I feel it relevant to this topic...

A Picasa web album has been created by user: "Srawakaya" about "Happy Greens"; an organization being formed under Mahamevnawa with four aims
a humane society
an environmental friend society
prosperous society
Dhammachari society (a society that practices Dhamma)Album URL: http://picasaweb.google.com/srawakaya/Happy_greens

Another nice work by Shrawakaya (http://www.elakiri.com/forum/member.php?u=76359).. :) Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/kalyanamithra/SGaPe8Tt9DI/AAAAAAAAA1E/d_SEhyZJ29c/s288/happy%20greens.jpg

Theruwan saranai!

:) :) :)

rush16
06-29-2008, 02:53 AM

yeah.... true.. seems like you are a different person. keep posting. :):):)

chanaka_1987
06-29-2008, 03:19 PM

Let's consider the following (It's not an example of mine). Have you seen dreams in which we undergo things we do not like; desperately without no control on how they go on? See how selfless our mind is! Can we expect to have control (without making use of Dhamma) even at the time of death? So is it reasonable for us to expect to lead a good and helpful life throughout the Samsara?

I think we tend to wish like that (i.e. being good and helpful till we attain Nibbana) because of the partial truth we have heard about Bodhisathvas. Bodhisathvas are exceptional beings trying to seek and end to suffering owing to pure compassion towards the world. As they are not Arya Shrawakas, they have to undergo sufferings (e.g. in Niraya) like other beings.

Sammasambuddha Gautama never advocated going in the samsara like that (One can verify this easily by examine the Suttas). Why? because of compassion... How can a person filled with compassion ask another to try to find the Path when it's already known?

Person seeing the danger/peril of samsaraic existence will not postpone the attempt to Nibabna.

Should we loose the rare chance we've got because of Pamada and Vevichcha like we may have done throughout our samsaraic existence?

Theruwan saranai!

Thank you for the explanation. Is it ok if I ask questions which might be not related to the thread?

kalyanamithra
06-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Thank you for the explanation. Is it ok if I ask questions which might be not related to the thread?

I think so; I've seen such questions in other threads... Personally I do not mind any question on Dhamma, because discussing such questions would be beneficial for all of us.

Theruwan saranai

dilrasan
06-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Karana Deyak es Eragena ...Awabodayen Karanna...!!!

kalyanamithra
06-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Karana Deyak es Eragena ...Awabodayen Karanna...!!!
Exactly. :yes: We have to always verify that our thinking is in accordance with Dhamma. Budurajanan wahanse paralleled our Vinnana to a Magician (Maya karayek...) for reasons...

It is the Dhamma that gives "Es" (eyes) to see through the Avijja we have. It is highlighted in Dhammacakkappawattana Sutta as "cakkukarani" (giving eye sight) when explaining the Path to Nibbana.

A nice Sutta which tells how Magandhiya Brahmin who held the view that Budurajanan wahanse's Dhamma was not good for development (Diyunuva) attained the Path (and Nibbana) is found in Magandhiya Sutta (of Majjima Nikaya). Refernce: http://www.mettanet.org/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/2Majjhima-Nikaya/Majjhima2/075-magandiya-s.html

A deshna on it by Ven. Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero is found as:
http://www.gautamabuddha.org/downloads/Mp3/Magandiya_Sutta%20.mp3

I think it's worthy to read (or listen).

Theruwan saranai!

kalyanamithra
07-02-2008, 03:18 AM
Another Deshana highlighting the True aim of Buddhism based on Gaddula Baddha Sutta ("Kanuwe geta gahapu Balu Kukkage Kathawa" - a dog chained to a post) by Ven. Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero...
http://www.gautamabuddha.org/downloads/Mp3/Gaddula_Baddha_Sutta_01.mp3 (Part 1)
http://www.gautamabuddha.org/downloads/Mp3/Gaddula_Baddha_Sutta_02.mp3 (Part 2)Dear friends, we should not worry if we do not understand Dhamma; nevertheless we should try to understand/realize it.

If you are not already in Dhamma, you'll be amazed at the rate your understanding develops once you start to practice Dhamma genuinely... Thanks...

Theruwan saranai!