PDA

View Full Version : Some commentators suited for rugby’s ‘Sin Bin’

BUA
06-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Of course, Rugby is a hard man’s sport. This, I was taught back at college: that the rugby bowl was an arena where the men were separated from the boys. In any case, rugby is a global presence and it is actually commendable how the promotion of rugby in Sri Lanka has leapt from strength to strength. Mercantile giants such as Caltex, Singer and media stalwarts such as Sirasa TV and ITN are the major players of this new found rugby enthusiasm via the electronic media. Almost every weekend’s eve is guaranteed with a showdown rugby encounter.Says host Chandrishan Perera: “it’s gonna be a chocoblock atmosphere.”
The rugby is Live transmitted into our living rooms along with expert views and comments from a veteran panel – the likes of Chandrishan Perera, Ajith Abeyratne, Vimal Perera, Ravi Vijenadan etc. Chandrishan, “Shan” for short, a former “winger,” is the key member of the commentary team – who, true to his position, keeps things “running.” His commentary completely takes the spectator over. The entire telecast is brilliantly handled. But, either because rugby is a “hard man’s sport” or else due to one’s male chauvinistic ego, the commentary is shadowed by extreme and intolerable sexism. In fact, sometimes the commentator totally gets himself disengaged from the game to discuss the dress, features, the postures of women in the pavilions the nano-second a camera is tilted in that direction. The women are defined as “a part of the game;” so, the commentary, I guess, has to be excused. But, even this conclusion that “women are a part of the game” is morbidly sexist.
Let me give some examples from the game between Army Sports Club and Kandy Sports Club, telecast Live. Every time the camera shifted to the women in the pavilion Shan brakes off from the match commentary to go into raptures about the women. His co-commentator, too, joins in. What we mean to say is: “keep your eyes on the ball, gentlemen!” As commentators, the job at hand is professional – therefore, one should know where to kick and where to run.
We are living in a highly techno-based, race-sensitive, gender-sensitive century. You might get “turned on” by a woman, you might feel like commenting on another person’s “beauty” or features, but you have to contain yourself when you’re live on TV.
A commentator had this to say of the Kandy SC team last week: the team is a quality outfit and the season is still young – there is ample room for improvement. I think the same applies for Shan & Co. Sri Lankan rugby (fans) needs the superb work this team of commentators are carrying out behind the mike. Their work, I feel, is a big asset in the development and the promotion of the game island-wide. So, let’s throw the bathwater and keep the baby, shall we?

--------:yes: :yes: :yes:

deffa
06-22-2006, 11:20 AM
kathawa atah tham etha ban ganuth owne ne game ekata...lolz...

BUA
06-22-2006, 02:19 PM
kathawa atah tham etha ban ganuth owne ne game ekata...lolz...

gen netuwa game eka lassana naha, eth daz nat nice to such a gentleman like Chandrashan to use some words about some ladies in rugger matches.

deffa
06-22-2006, 03:19 PM
gen netuwa game eka lassana naha, eth daz nat nice to such a gentleman like Chandrashan to use some words about some ladies in rugger matches.

machan u r rite....etha owa tikak thibata kamak naha

mee machan royal mite play prince of wales on the 30th of june..a friendly i l confirm it 2 elakiri.

BUA
06-22-2006, 03:40 PM

mee machan royal mite play prince of wales on the 30th of june..a friendly i l confirm it 2 elakiri.

shittttt why should royal play againts dat kida team??????? even friendly game??/:sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

BUA
06-22-2006, 03:41 PM

shittttt why should royal play againts dat kinda team??????? even friendly game??/:sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

deffa
06-22-2006, 04:12 PM
shittttt why should royal play againts dat kinda team??????? even friendly game??/:sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

machah every year we play with small sides as friendly..we normally play zahira also as a friendly..we play chukers..means 4 halfs with different players in each half..to check out the players..dats why..

BUA
06-22-2006, 04:20 PM
machah every year we play with small sides as friendly..we normally play zahira also as a friendly..we play chukers..means 4 halfs with different players in each half..to check out the players..dats why..

u know in 98 chuckers played againts ananda n smashed dem by 45-nil.

deffa
06-22-2006, 04:22 PM
u know in 98 chuckers played againts ananda n smashed dem by 45-nil.

the year before last we playd zahira n defeated 87-7 or sumtin i m st sure abt the score

BUA
06-22-2006, 04:26 PM
machooo let me know about the dates of matches. because last year i have missed da match againts wesley. because i dint jnow match is suppose to play on a thursday.. apita den eva hoyanna welawak naha ne.. pls let me know.

deffa
06-22-2006, 04:28 PM
machooo let me know about the dates of matches. because last year i have missed da match againts wesley. because i dint jnow match is suppose to play on a thursday.. apita den eva hoyanna welawak naha ne.. pls let me know.

elakiri i l let u no..and wen i get da fixture card i l put them @ elakiri ..

BUA
06-22-2006, 04:43 PM
elakiri i l let u no..and wen i get da fixture card i l put them @ elakiri ..

ela machann..tks..:cool: