PDA

View Full Version : Virtusa :: Firing Again!!!!

lankasira
08-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Dear Gusy and Gals,

Do you remember the follwing post made by some Elakiri member about the Famous IT company Virtusa and how the General Manager of Virtusa Mr.Madu Rathnayake got worked up and posted in reply to that post in Elakiri?

Well, perhaps proving that the contents of the older post is more than true, Virtusa has started another round of merciless firing purely in the name of company benifit and company benifit alone....

You are yet to see this......... the firing just begun....

Dear Virtusans, (not the pretenders of the virtusa top management), Please honestly post about your company and dont let other sri lankans especially young graduates fall into deep shit.....

Please forward/pass this news and please have a honest discussion... also take a look at the previous older post (below) as well.....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The older post

Business Process Outsourcing - 'Other side of the white-collar'

Virtusa an IT Services BPO firm headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with one
of the Advanced Technology Centers in Colombo has experienced another death
of an employee. This is the second death reported within last two years, though
there have been past reports of casualties who have survived strokes also known
as 'brain attacks'.

The company employs over 1000 employees in it's Advanced Technology Center
(ATC) in Colombo and provides a challenging environment at work due to strict
delivery deadlines demanded by US Clients. The company bills anything above
USD 150 man day for a basic resource for IT services to US Clients, though only
10-15% is passed to the employees. The balance of expenses before earnings per
share is incurred on maintaining a state-of-the-art Technology infrastructure and
remunerating a Sri Lankan based ATC management at US Standard - Salary,
Benefits and Perks.

The operational model demands at least 45 working hours per week, where
project managers have strict guidelines to ensure employee productivity. The
attitude towards employees has been disastrous in some cases; where in the past
over 120 employees have been laid off within few weeks. Directly or indirectly
forcing a permanent employee to resign at short notice from work has been a
specialty area at Virtusa for the last 4 years.

Virtusa continues to apply various techniques to hire-at-will, and fire-at-will.
Although the recruitment advertisements appearing Newspapers and websites
look very enticing, scant regard has been paid to the statutory requirements of
employing persons in Sri Lanka.

Some of the violations include manager-employee harassment and humiliation at
work, getting signatures on official documents under force and duress,
promotions and career success based on favoritism and acquaintance, and host of
other violation of mandatory local statutory requirements.

The 1000+ workforce in Sri Lanka of which 70% are below project manager level,
is hired from Universities in Sri Lanka. Virtusa conducts a well organized
recruitment drive and allocates a significant budget for this purpose. Sponsoring
at Career Fairs, Career Days etc. are some of the techniques proven to be
effective in attracting fresh graduates into the workforce. Most of them join with
promises given by the recruitment division which ranges from working abroad,
branded career start, corporate image, market leading remuneration etc.

Role Stretching is a practice at Virtusa where an employee is encouraged to play
the role of a senior person. The employee does not get any additional
compensation for this exercise, but they are expected to work even harder and
billed at a higher rate. The employee is given the expectation that, after playing
the 'stretched' role, they would be subject to an early promotion. But this is
hardly the truth, but only an enticement to work harder. There are several other
deceptive and crafty techniques to obtain higher productivity from an employee.

The workforce predominantly consists of workers between ages 22-38 years with
an average age of 30. Most of the workforce is from middle class families who
have limited influence in society to expose or take legal action against violations
committed by the more affluent Sri Lankan Management at Virtusa. Hence most
of them silently suffer until they are tactfully drained out of their soul and spirit.
Besides, any legal action against Virtusa could deprive an employee of a
respectable career, subsequently, due to possible retaliation by the Sri Lankan
Management.

Since BPO companies are on the increase in Sri Lanka, it would be prudent for the
statutory authorities of Sri Lanka to investigate and monitor the operation of BPO
companies particularly the level of compliance to Shops and Offices Act and the
Industrial Disputes Act. It would also be useful for International Human Rights
Organizations to monitor the level of treatment meted out to these white collar
workers and devise a channel to listen to any stories and experiences that are
worthy for investigation.

This article has been written in order to educate the plight of white collar workers
in a typical BPO organization, so as to influence maintaining of checks and
balances to ensure adherence to stringent statutory and Human Rights principles
in treating Sri Lankan intellectual segment when selling knowledge services
overseas.

lkdood
08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
i have heard about Virtusa :eek:

BPO company that is owned by a Sri lankan :oo:

also heard the Virtusa makes good money

Virtusa get paid in US $ & they pay SL Rs. to workers

How much do people who work at Virtusa make

Rs. 30000 ? 50000 ?

lkdood
08-05-2008, 05:09 PM
See this thread

http://www.elakiri.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96080

henderson
08-05-2008, 07:48 PM
I also heard about the incident. As I heard some of permanent employees also fired, that raises a question about the meaning of permanent employee.

lasanka
08-05-2008, 08:07 PM
hmm virtusa doesnt pay well at all..... but given the present situation in the country.. can u blame em for cutting down?? its sad... but downsizing is one of the basic cost cutting methods...

henderson
08-05-2008, 08:11 PM
hmm virtusa doesnt pay well at all..... but given the present situation in the country.. can u blame em for cutting down?? its sad... but downsizing is one of the basic cost cutting methods...

but as far as I know Virtusa do not engage in local business. For any of the foreign market based company higher inflation in SL is a blessing. Since all salary payments is done using rupees. So for sure reason is not SL economy.

lasanka
08-05-2008, 08:13 PM
hmmm yea ur right u have a major point there... i knw ppl hu work there.. and actually salaries can range from within the 20000 onwards range... and their promotion grid has been dialuted too. disappointing indeed!

creativeguyz
08-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Yes. It is true. Virtusa fired around 300 employees (200 in India and 100 in Srilanka). All of a sudden; without any notice, management called the employees and put the letters in their hands and bade goodbye. May be this is because of the loss in the last quarter. The below link may give some info...
http://www.streetinsider.com/Earnings/Virtusa+Announces+Preliminary+First+Quarter+Fiscal +Year+2009+Financial+Results/3798920.html

The remaining employees are feeling insecure about their jobs. They are thinking of shifting to another company.

- CreativeGuyz

A. J. Mendis
08-13-2008, 10:22 AM
As far as i here, those who are got fired are low performace people (irrespective of permenent or not; infact lots of probation good performers did not get fired)
this is good practice; companies are not charity organizations - and other companies should aslo follow this (i wish my company would aslo do this, as they are always coping virtusa - there are lot of incapable people here)

Asitha-K
08-13-2008, 10:34 AM
i have heard about Virtusa :eek:

BPO company that is owned by a Sri lankan :oo:

also heard the Virtusa makes good money

Virtusa get paid in US $ & they pay SL Rs. to workers

How much do people who work at Virtusa make

Rs. 30000 ? 50000 ?

Wife of Vertusa MD is the MD of another Outsourcing company!

steezdo
08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
As far as i here, those who are got fired are low performace people (irrespective of permenent or not; infact lots of probation good performers did not get fired)
this is good practice; companies are not charity organizations - and other companies should aslo follow this (i wish my company would aslo do this, as they are always coping virtusa - there are lot of incapable people here)

Downsizin and all other technique to cut the cost of the company may be good in situation where company running at a loss. but according to their final reports it is proven that there is not such a situation. And the same time prior to their firing they were given a simple exam to prove their performance or skills that management required. Without declaring the results some employees were fired including project manager. I know all this stuff coz one of my close relation working there. after all i think four years of wasting time on following a degree in IT:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

henderson
08-15-2008, 04:44 PM

This concept is not acceptable in SL, even though it is good one for USA like countries, since those countries have job insurence plans (even if you loose the job ,insurence company pays you the salary). What is the margin of low performance people means. If they are low performing isn't there any policy for warning them in advance, usually there is a such policy in every organization. If you want to fire peole at will you never want to hire them permenent basis, if so you have to hire them on contract basis which company has to pay more money for contract basis employees.

nuwa1
08-15-2008, 05:19 PM
this is what i heard. they have fired 300 workers without any notice. they said that because of low performance. but the news i heard is they have lost a big project. the project has gone to a another company. so it is useless to keep employees and now they are firing them...... this is bulshit

amilaudana
08-16-2008, 10:17 PM
this is what i heard. they have fired 300 workers without any notice. they said that because of low performance. but the news i heard is they have lost a big project. the project has gone to a another company. so it is useless to keep employees and now they are firing them...... this is bulshit

oh pavu

If they are tallented they have jobs know?

teesha112
08-17-2008, 12:18 AM
my friend fell in this trap she was waiting to get employment and they said they cant hire her after giving the letter of employment to her so ppl dnt fall to this trap

samueldaniel7
08-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Thats why you need to work in HSBC "The best Place to Work"

earthling
08-18-2008, 01:05 PM
nope.."the best place to work" is your own business

Anusha
08-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Fire at will!! It is war time..lol

lkdood
08-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Fire at will!! It is war time..lol

:angry::frown:

dwghihanw
08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
mara seen eka neda???????munge recruitment process eka ezy.....okkoma gnnawa ita passe eliyata danawaaa...ane mehemath lokayakkk

lkdood
08-18-2008, 09:54 PM
mara seen eka neda???????munge recruitment process eka ezy.....okkoma gnnawa ita passe eliyata danawaaa...ane mehemath lokayakkk
ane paw virtusa wade karana ayata :(

mama inna companiya mawa fire karanawa nam

3 months warning ekak den na one + 6 months pay after i get fired :D

mama contract sign karala thiyene ;) :D

ape boss hodai, fire karan ne naha :)

loku companiyaka wada karana eka thamai hoda :yes:

tux
10-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Any how Virtusa is the No 1 IT Company in Sri Lanka. Its Truth.

layya2
10-05-2008, 08:55 AM
i guess this is caused by ongoing USA economic recession....

xx4all
11-03-2008, 10:04 PM
even they have fired a senior manager from virtusa's core project, just after he come back from onsite client visit. he gt this news after a day or two, he came back sl and even he at home. mngment says "performance issue", bt the truth is they fire both bad performers and who is nt the " bosses slave" ..... usually wht they do in this "firing cycle" is that call the relavant employer and give a letter to be signed by the emp as they were leaving the company as his wish. if the emp didnt agree to this they didnt gave "service letter" .