PDA

View Full Version : Seeds of Confusion

Nash_Node
08-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Dear all,

I have upto now posted around 1000 posts and I am happy that 99% of them had some content which someone can take or learn.

So thought of starting a new thing. Since I am in holiday's (courts) I thought of jotting down something I have done for a thesis in 2002.

I named it Seeds of Confusion - which is a compiled version of what had lead to the war in this country. Some may can argue / disapprove or throw it off all together. But read if you can...and I hope this will help you all in some way to understand the History of Sri Lanka.

My thesis starts from the 1815 with the English rule and finishes at 2001 Katunayake LTTE attack.

Read from here.

The FLIP of a generation

The duration of English rule can be taken as a mecca of changes to the Sri Lanka culture / social-economic structure / politics as well as Law. The changes hit the Ceylon population so fierce and so sudden that many people simply struggled to understand and comprehend the changed which happened in an overnight.

The focal point of all these changes revolved around one legislation. 1833 September 28th, Englishmen released a new constitution reform by the name of "Callbruke"

THIS reform paved the way for many changes for the norm and the set life ways of the Ceylon people. Once which was considered as a "TASK" specified for a "cast" was abolished and gave the empowerment to do a job that you see fit for your self.

Rather than a "Rhodee" washing clothes for the riches, he was free to go and do a government job (given that he's educated, which was also a reform in the legislation) that said "everyone has the right to be educated".

The entire economic system which was monopolized by the government opened up and all was free to do business in their own capacities. This saw the growth of many early millionaires among the Sri Lankan normal citizens than of the family inherited landlords.

Religion, cast, ethnicity was cast aside and all "humans" were given the fair and equal chance at Law. They all got the right for a fair justice against their pleas.

The country which was divided into Three parts was abolished and now ruled as one country. ONE CEYLON. Therewith the common law and the judicial system, the country lost is Dictatorship governance and was given the face lift of a democratic republic.

The result of all these changes were drastic and sudden. The final result was the emergence of Highly rich and an elite class of men uprising based on cultivation (tea, coffee, rubber, coconuts) and other products. This is the economic system that we Sri Lankan STILL depend on (sadely).

in 1846, as Governer Cordiner commented, when they came to Ceylon, there was no ROADS. People either commuted by horse back or foot. The elite class travelled in "Dholawa" and the Englishman scoffed at the mere fact that it takes 30 days to travel to KANDY in 1803.

Next
Roads, Bridges and development.

I am not sure when the "next" update will be. May be tommorow or may be in a week's time. But I will definetely update.

Cuase I don't have a soft copy of this.. I have to translate it to english and re-type all :)

TΞΞNSTAR™
08-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Aha Wonderful bro... tnx a lot bro ... all your threads are seriously intersting and learned alot bro..

waiting for the next update...

btw

30 days to travel to KANDY in 1803

Dats lyk..@!!$#%$^

Im Sooo Greatful 4 d englishmen 4 givin a solution.. or else... MAMA PAU!!

booleanB
08-11-2008, 07:07 PM
wow nice job, congrats and thanx

rash87
08-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Well first of all congratZ buddy on ur 1000 posts:)

Well a good post I would like to say something about what we gain from that british period;)
As we know town planning been there in Sri Lanak since Anuradhapura era, but the real modern town planning came with British rulers. Also lot of architectural norms, techniques were tagged along with them. Religion came but most importantly as it will be reviewed on ur next post, roads & development!
Well I don't know what u will say on development & before u say anything about development I would like to know ur definition of development.;)
About roads, well they are one of the most essential infrastucture network emerged in the world & issues prevailing with maintaince & lifting up the conditions of it are lieing with they been not planned ones but been just roads developed by it own;)

Anyway it will be such a nice topic & I hope u will continue the thread:)

DJ.Parker
08-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I named it Seeds of Confusion - which is a compiled version of what had lead to the war in this country.

eagerly waiting for this :)

TΞΞNSTAR™
08-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Waiting for the Update!!

earthling
08-18-2008, 02:09 PM
thanx man... 100 posts of worth wile comments are equivalent to 100,000 posts of useless junk that helps no one bt just takes DB space...

I've seen spammers posting comments like "I dont know about this subject"...

Its so good to have Quality over Quantity for once... respect

Designer255
09-09-2008, 12:24 PM
As we know town planning been there in Sri Lanak since Anuradhapura era, but the real modern town planning came with British rulers. Also lot of architectural norms, techniques were tagged along with them.

Seems like you study town and country planing:cool: :cool:
Actually We had complex town planning even beore the anuradhapura era ;)
An excavation which took place at Athul nuwara , at anuradhapura 3 years ago..found remains of a town which is similar to an early roman town. even similar to ancient mohendojaro and harappa townsthese remains date back to 7/6 century B.C.;)
If we had a chance to pass on that great knowledge to this century, We couldve been one of the Leading nations from the particular field. but during the dark ages of anuradhapura era, the generations who passed down this knowledge was wiped away by indian invaders..And it was forgotten. and polonnaru and dambadeni dynasties had to hire indian architechts and town planners.;)
of course , we aquired modern town planing from britain, but roots of british town planing are from ancient Rome and Greece;)