ElaKiri Community
Downloads
Go Back   ElaKiri Community > General > ElaKiri Talk!
Reload this Page Pissu hadena "Paradox" ( Mole kachal kara ganna oni nam kiyawanna)

(#1)
Old
dilshancjdon is an unknown quantity at this point

Up Pissu hadena "Paradox" ( Mole kachal kara ganna oni nam kiyawanna) - 10-22-2008, 05:41 PM

Liar Paradox (Eubulid or Epimenides Paradox)

This is a well known paradox written by the great stoical logician Chrysippos. The poet, grammarian and critic Philetus of Cos was said to have died of exhaustion attempting to resolve it.
  1. A Cretan sails to Greece and says to some Greek men who are standing upon the shore: "All Cretans are liars." Did he speak the truth, or did he lie?
  2. A week later, the Cretan sailed to Greece again and said: "All Cretans are liars and all I say is the truth." Although the Greeks on the shore weren't aware of what he had said the first time, they were truly puzzled.
If someone says "I always lie", are they telling the truth? Or are they lying?

Double Liar Paradox (Jourdain's paradox)

This version of a famous paradox was presented by English mathematician P. E. B. Jourdain in 1913.
The following is written on opposite sides of a card:
Back side
THE SENTENCE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS CARD IS TRUE.

Face side
THE SENTENCE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS CARD IS FALSE.

Barber Paradox (Russell's Paradox)

Analogue paradox to the 'liar paradox' formulated by English logician, philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell. There was a barber in a village who promised to shave everybody that does not shave himself (or herself).
Can the barber shave himself and keep the mentioned promise?

Lazy-bones Paradox

If destiny designed a master plan which defines everything that is to happen, isn't it useless, for example, to go to a doctor? If I am ill and it is my destiny to regain health, then I will regain health whether I visit a doctor or not. If it is my destiny to not regain my health, then seeing a doctor can't help me.
How could you question the presented opinion?

My Favorite Sophisms

1. Crocodile Sophism

A slim crocodile living in the Nile took a child. His mother begged to have him back. The crocodile could not only talk, but was also a great sophist and stated, "If you guess correctly what I will do with him, I will return him. However, if you don't guess his fate, I'll eat him." What statement should the mother make to save her child?

2. Is it possible to give what we don't have?

Sophist: "Yes, greedy man gives his cash with sorrow. However, he doesn't have the cash with sorrow, so he gives what he doesn't have."

3. What is better - eternal bliss or a simple bread?

What is better than eternal bliss? Nothing. But a slice of bread is better than nothing. So a slice of bread is better than eternal bliss.

A few sentences from life

Nobody goes to that restaurant; it's too crowded.
Don't go near the water 'til you have learned how to swim.
The man who wrote such a stupid sentence can not write at all.
If you get this message, call me, and if you don't get it, don't call.
ADVERTISEMENT: Are you an analphabet? Write a letter and we will send you free of charge instructions how to undo it.

Think about these
  • Let's say there is a bullet which can shoot through any barrier. Let's also say there is an absolutely bullet-proof armor which no object can penetrate. What will happen if such a bullet hits such an armor?
  • Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?
  • Your mission is not to accept the mission. Do you accept?
  • A girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead, the girl was never born. If she were never born, she never killed her grandmother.
  • If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow", what will the temperature be?
  • Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be 'no'?
  • What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn the headlights on?
  • I conclude with this challenge:
    Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up!

(#2)
Old
ArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to behold

Send a message via ICQ to ArunaTelshan Send a message via Skype™ to ArunaTelshan
07-12-2019, 10:31 AM

Interesting Me gana sinhalen thiyena thanak nadda
(#3)
Old
imhotep is a glorious beacon of lightimhotep is a glorious beacon of lightimhotep is a glorious beacon of lightimhotep is a glorious beacon of lightimhotep is a glorious beacon of lightimhotep is a glorious beacon of lightimhotep is a glorious beacon of lightimhotep is a glorious beacon of lightimhotep is a glorious beacon of lightimhotep is a glorious beacon of lightimhotep is a glorious beacon of light

07-12-2019, 10:47 AM

Everyone must have heard Zeno's Paradox - also known as Zeno's dichotomy paradox
also Achilles and the Tortoise

Another interesting one -
"I know one thing," Socrates famously said. "That I know nothing."
(#4)
Old
navinnuwan is a glorious beacon of lightnavinnuwan is a glorious beacon of lightnavinnuwan is a glorious beacon of lightnavinnuwan is a glorious beacon of lightnavinnuwan is a glorious beacon of lightnavinnuwan is a glorious beacon of lightnavinnuwan is a glorious beacon of lightnavinnuwan is a glorious beacon of lightnavinnuwan is a glorious beacon of lightnavinnuwan is a glorious beacon of lightnavinnuwan is a glorious beacon of light

07-12-2019, 11:17 AM

Keyboard not found
Press F1 to Resume
(#5)
Old
hichchiputha is a splendid one to beholdhichchiputha is a splendid one to beholdhichchiputha is a splendid one to beholdhichchiputha is a splendid one to beholdhichchiputha is a splendid one to beholdhichchiputha is a splendid one to beholdhichchiputha is a splendid one to beholdhichchiputha is a splendid one to beholdhichchiputha is a splendid one to beholdhichchiputha is a splendid one to beholdhichchiputha is a splendid one to behold

07-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navinnuwan View Post
Keyboard not found
Press F1 to Resume
Lol
(#6)
Old
ArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to beholdArunaTelshan is a splendid one to behold

Send a message via ICQ to ArunaTelshan Send a message via Skype™ to ArunaTelshan
07-12-2019, 12:09 PM

bump
(#7)
Old
JohnSnow is a glorious beacon of lightJohnSnow is a glorious beacon of lightJohnSnow is a glorious beacon of lightJohnSnow is a glorious beacon of lightJohnSnow is a glorious beacon of lightJohnSnow is a glorious beacon of lightJohnSnow is a glorious beacon of lightJohnSnow is a glorious beacon of lightJohnSnow is a glorious beacon of lightJohnSnow is a glorious beacon of lightJohnSnow is a glorious beacon of light

07-12-2019, 12:45 PM

bump
(#8)
Old
SBWoof is a splendid one to beholdSBWoof is a splendid one to beholdSBWoof is a splendid one to beholdSBWoof is a splendid one to beholdSBWoof is a splendid one to beholdSBWoof is a splendid one to beholdSBWoof is a splendid one to beholdSBWoof is a splendid one to beholdSBWoof is a splendid one to beholdSBWoof is a splendid one to beholdSBWoof is a splendid one to behold

07-12-2019, 12:55 PM

bump
(#9)
Old
Naughtykolla48 is a glorious beacon of lightNaughtykolla48 is a glorious beacon of lightNaughtykolla48 is a glorious beacon of lightNaughtykolla48 is a glorious beacon of lightNaughtykolla48 is a glorious beacon of lightNaughtykolla48 is a glorious beacon of lightNaughtykolla48 is a glorious beacon of lightNaughtykolla48 is a glorious beacon of lightNaughtykolla48 is a glorious beacon of lightNaughtykolla48 is a glorious beacon of lightNaughtykolla48 is a glorious beacon of light

07-12-2019, 01:01 PM

ammoh, pattane bn..
(#10)
Old
snm1990 is a splendid one to beholdsnm1990 is a splendid one to beholdsnm1990 is a splendid one to beholdsnm1990 is a splendid one to beholdsnm1990 is a splendid one to beholdsnm1990 is a splendid one to beholdsnm1990 is a splendid one to beholdsnm1990 is a splendid one to beholdsnm1990 is a splendid one to beholdsnm1990 is a splendid one to beholdsnm1990 is a splendid one to behold

07-12-2019, 01:26 PM

bump