Hack to turn your Windows Home Edition CD into Professional Edition -
01-03-2007, 03:02 PM
I found this hack from Technipages and I think it’s pretty cool. It enables the features found in Windows XP Professional on your Windows XP Home Edition installation with this hack. It will allow you to turn your Windows XP Home CD into a Windows XP Professional CD. Now Microsoft is going to be pissed about this.
Follow the steps below on how to turn your Windows XP Home edition CD to professional!
Note: If your Windows XP CD does not contain Service Pack 2, you might want to Slipstream Your Windows XP CD first as you will not be able to upgrade an installation after using the CD.
1. Copy the root directory and the i386 directory of the WindowsXP CD to your hard drive.
2. Extract the Bootsector of your Windows XP CD. You can use BBIE to do this.
3. Click START–>RUN–>REGEDIT
4. Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
5. Click FILE–>LOAD HIVE and select the Setupreg.hiv file
This file is located in the i386 folder. Use the one you extracted to your hard drive from your Windows XP CD.
Edit the DEFAULT key and change the following values:
01 to 00
02 to 00
10. Highlight HOMEKEY and select FILE–>UNLOAD HIVE
You can now burn the data on your hard drive to a CD to make a new Windows XP CD. Then use the CD to install Windows XP. Be sure to make the CD bootable. You can use the instructions here to help you do that.
The weird thing is your Windows XP Home serial will still be valid.