ElaKiri Community
Downloads
Go Back   ElaKiri Community > Computers & Internet > Problems and Troubleshooting
Reload this Page Risks with Runing a computer for 24/7 non stop

(#1)
Old
dineitdark is an unknown quantity at this point

? Risks with Runing a computer for 24/7 non stop - 03-22-2007, 09:22 PM

have anyone done anything like this? im always downloading something so i have the thing on all the time... but i m scared that i may hurt the lap by doing this. is it bad for the hard disk? or is there any risks? have anyone have had any experiences with running a machine 24/7?
(#2)
Old
prasadana2 has a spectacular aura aboutprasadana2 has a spectacular aura aboutprasadana2 has a spectacular aura aboutprasadana2 has a spectacular aura aboutprasadana2 has a spectacular aura about

03-22-2007, 09:26 PM

mmm no idea i havent run my desktop pc more than 3days.
(#3)
Old
sri_lion has a spectacular aura aboutsri_lion has a spectacular aura aboutsri_lion has a spectacular aura aboutsri_lion has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via MSN to sri_lion
03-22-2007, 09:31 PM

For desktops its... OK, my machine runs 24/7 as well.... as long as your cooling is good!! I know people who has their laptops running 24/7 as well, but the thing is laptops always more sensitive and prone to hardware errors than a Desktop..

If you are using a Laptop 24/7 I recommend you use a cooling pad and place it under the laptop!! this should disseminate some heat!!
(#4)
Old

03-22-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadana2
mmm no idea i havent run my desktop pc more than 3days.
My one is running for 2 months... non stop...
(#5)
Old
lasanka is an unknown quantity at this point

03-22-2007, 09:34 PM

hey ya my frnds in in uni in UK keep their laptops on most of the time 3 4 days.. but ... id recommed u try not to leave it runnin over 3 to 4 days.. just off it once in a while.. shouldn be much of a prob anyway.. a coolin pad will help though!
(#6)
Old
nEoN_wHitE will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to nEoN_wHitE
03-22-2007, 09:35 PM

i dont htink any thin bad weill happen.. coz mine is runing for like more than 2.5yrs.. i only switched it off to reboot... hehee
(#7)
Old

03-22-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_lion
For desktops its... OK, my machine runs 24/7 as well.... as long as your cooling is good!! I know people who has their laptops running 24/7 as well, but the thing is laptops always more sensitive and prone to hardware errors than a Desktop..

If you are using a Laptop 24/7 I recommend you use a cooling pad and place it under the laptop!! this should disseminate some heat!!
i don't have a cooling pad but im keeping the fan(ceiling fan ) on at all times so the temp is under control... i hope.. its like 65C...

i worry about the hard disk... im running azureus.. so it writes and reads from the hard all the time... is that bad?(azureus do use some chache tecnques to minimise the writes and reads i guess...)....
(#8)
Old

03-22-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasanka
hey ya my frnds in in uni in UK keep their laptops on most of the time 3 4 days.. but ... id recommed u try not to leave it runnin over 3 to 4 days.. just off it once in a while.. shouldn be much of a prob anyway.. a coolin pad will help though!
i should buy one
(#9)
Old

03-22-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEoN_wHitE
i dont htink any thin bad weill happen.. coz mine is runing for like more than 2.5yrs.. i only switched it off to reboot... hehee
coooool!
(#10)
Old
sri_lion has a spectacular aura aboutsri_lion has a spectacular aura aboutsri_lion has a spectacular aura aboutsri_lion has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via MSN to sri_lion
03-22-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dineitdark
i don't have a cooling pad but im keeping the fan(ceiling fan ) on at all times so the temp is under control... i hope.. its like 65C...

i worry about the hard disk... im running azureus.. so it writes and reads from the hard all the time... is that bad?(azureus do use some chache tecnques to minimise the writes and reads i guess...)....
A COOLING PAD is highly recommended, and don't worry about the HDD its designed to read and write after all......

You can use SpeedFan (juz google it, free to use) to monitor your system temp and to control your internal fans!

Try installing Diskkeeper to monitor your HDD that will slightly help improving your HDD (you can just schedule it)