Male/Female Names (Islamic) -
05-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Male Names============================================= =====
* Aban — Old Arabic name
* `Abbas — Description of a lion
* Abbud — Worshipper
* Abdel, Abdul — Servant (of Allah). Before anyof Allah's names, this prefix is to be found for a person's name. Below arethe ways one can have Allah's Name as part of his name:
o Abdul-Alim — Servant of the Omniscient
o Abdul-Aliyy — Servant of the Most High
o Abdul-Azim — Servant of the Mighty
o Abdul-Aziz — Servant of the Mighty, PowerfulOne
o Abdul-Bari — Servant of the Creator
o Abdul-Basit — Servant of the Extender
o Abdul-Fattah — Servant of the Opener (of thegatesof sustenance)
o Abdul-Ghaffar, Abdul-Ghafur — Servant of theForgiver
o Abdul-Hadi — Servant of the Guide
o Abdul-Hafiz — Servant of the Protector
o Abdul-Hakam — Servant of the Arbitrator
o Abdul-Hakim — Servant of the Wise One
o Abdul-Halim — Servant of the Mild, Patient One
o Abdul-Hamid — Servant of the Praised One
o Abdul-Haqq — Servant of the Truth
o Abdul-Hasib — Servant of the Respected, Esteemed
o Abdul-Jabbar — Servant of the Mighty
o Abdul-Jalil, Abdul-Jaleel — Servant of theGreat,Revered One
o Abdul-Karim — Servant of the Noble, GenerousOne
o Abdul-Khaliq — Servant of the Creator
o Abdul-Latif — Servant of the Kind One
o Abdul-Malik — Servant of the Master (or King)
o Abdul-Majid — Servant of the Glorious One
o Abdul-Mu'izz — Servant of the Giver of MightandGlory
o Abdul-Mujib — Servant of the Responder
o Abdul-Muta'al — Servant of the Most High
o Abdul-Nasser — Servant of the Victorious One
o Abdul-Nasir — Servant of the Helper, Protector
o Abdul-Qadir — Servant of the Capable, Powerful
o Abdul-Qahhar — Servant of the Subduer, theAlmighty
o Abdul-Quddus — Servant of the Most Holy
o Abdul-Rafi — Servant of the One Who Raises,Elevates(intellect, esteem)
o Abdul-Rahim — Servant of the Most Compassionate One
o Abdul-Rahman — Servant of the Merciful One
o Abdul-Rashid — Servant of the Rightly GuidedOne
o Abdul-Ra'uf — Servant of the Most Merciful
o Abdul-Razzaq — Servant of the Maintainer, theProvider
o Abdul-Sabur — Servant of the Patient
o Abdul-Salam — Servant of the Peace
o Abdul-Samad — Servant of the Eternal
o Abdul-Sami — Servant of the All-Hearing
o Abdul-Shakur — Servant of the Most Thankful
o Abdul-Tawwab — Servant of the Forgiver
o Abdul-Wadud — Servant of the Loving
o Abdul-Wahhab — Servant of the Giver
o Abdul-Wahid — Servant of the One
* Abdullah — Servant of Allah
* Abu Bakr — Name of one of the greatest Companionsof Nabi Muhammad, May Allah's peace and blessings is upon him. Abu Bakr wasthe first Rightly Guided Khalifa. May Allah bless him
* Adel, Adil — Just
* Adham — Black
* Adnan — Proper name
* Afif — Chaste, modest
* Ahmad, Ahmed — Most highly adored, or most praised;variation of the name "Muhammad." A very holy name. If one wishes to choosethis name for himself, he should have a second name after it. For example,Ahmad Abbas, Ahmad Ali, but not simply Ahmad.
* `Aqil — Intelligent, thoughtful, one who usesreason
* Akram — Most generous
* Ala' — Nobility
* Aladdin, Ala' al din — Nobility of faith
* `Ali, Aliyy - The highest, greatest, excellent, noble. Also the name of one of the greatest Companions of Nabi Muhammad, May Allah's peace and blessings be upon him . Hadrat Ali (may Allah bless his countenance) was known for immense Hikmah (Allah-given wisdom), bravery, ferocity, and depths of knowledge, amongst many other noble qualities.
* `Alim — Wise or learned
* Altair — the flying eagle; also refers to afirstmagnitude star in the constellation Lyra
* Ameer, Amir — One in authority. A leader; commander.
* Amid — General
* Amin — Faithful, trustworthy
* Amjad — More glorious
* Ammar — Builder, constructor
* Amr — Old Arabic name
* Anis — Close friend
* Anwar — Light
* Arfan — Gratitude
* Arif — Corporal; aquainted, knowledgable
* Asad — Lion
* Asadel — Most prosperous one
* Ashraf — Most honorable
* Askari — Commander of an army.
* Asim — Protector, defender
* Ata — Gift
* Atif — Compassionate, sympathetic
* Awad — Reward, compensation
* Ayman — Lucky; on the right
* Ayyub — A Prophet's name
* Aza — Comfort
* Azhar — Most shining, luminous
* Azeem, Azim — Defender, referring to one ofAllah'sninety-nine qualities
* Azzam — Determined, resolved
* Badr — Full moon
* Badr al Din — Full moon of the faith
* Baha al Din, Bahiyy al Din — Magnificence of thefaith
* Bahir — Dazzling, brilliant
* Barakah — Blessing
* Bashshar — Bringer of glad tidings
* Basil — Brave
* Bassam, Basim — Smiling
* Bilal — Name of the Prophet's Muezzin
* Bishr — Joy
* Burhan — Proof
* Dawud — the Holy Prophet "David"
* Dhul-Fiqar — Name of the Prophet's sword
* Diya al Din — Brightness of the faith
* Emir — Another spelling for Amir .
* Esam, Essam — Safeguard
* Fadi — Redeemer
* Fadil, Fadhl, Fazl — Generous, honorable
* Faisal, Faysal — Decisive
* Fakhir — Proud, excellent
* Fakhiri — Honorary
* Faqih — Legal expert, jurist
* Farid — Unique
* Fariq — Lieutenant General
* Faris — Horseman, knight
* Faruq — One who distinguishes truth from falsehood. Title for Hadrat Umar ibn al-Khattab.
* Fath — Victory
* Fatin — Clever, smart
* Fawwaz — Successful
* Ferran — Baker
* Fida — Redemption, sacrifice
* Firas — Perspicacity
* Fouad — Heart
* Fudail — Excellent in character
* Ghalib — Victorious one.
* Ghawth — Helpher, excellent assistant.
* Ghayth — Similar to above.
* Ghazi — Conqueror.
* Ghiyath — Succorer.
* Habib — Beloved
* Hadi — the Guide.
* Haidar, Haider — A lion. Original name of Hadrat Ali ibn Abu Talib, May Allah be pleased with him.
* Hakeem, Hakim — Wise, one of Allah's qualities of absolute wisdom.
* Hakem — Ruler, governor
* Halim — Mild, gentle, patient
* Hammad — the praised one; variation of the name "Muhammad."
* Hamid — the praised one; variation of the name "Muhammad."
* Hamza — another name for a lion. One of the greatest military commanders of Islam, Hamza ibn Abdul-Muttalib, and May Allah bless him.
* Hanbal — Purity
* Hani — Happy, delighted, content
* Hanif — True believer
* Harith — Ploughman, cultivator
* Haroun, Harun — Arabic form of "Aaron"
* Hasan — Beautiful
* Hashim — Broker; destroyer of evil; breaker of bread. Hashim was an ascendent of the Holy Messenger Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)
* Hassan — Handsome
* Hatim — Judge
* Haytham — Young hawk
* Hilal — a new moon crescent
* Hisham — Generosity
* Hud — A Prophet's name
* Hudhayfah — Old Arabic name
* Humam — Courageous, generous
* Husain, Hussein, Husayn — Beautiful; Imam Hussein (may Allah bless him) was the blessed grandson of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
* Husam — Sword
* Husam al Din — Sword of the faith
* Ibrahim — the name of Abraham.
* Idris — A Prophet's name
* Ihsan — Beneficence
* Imad — Support, pillar
* Imad al Din — Pillar of the faith
* Isa, Eisa, Esa — A Prophet's name (Jesus)
* Isam, Issam — Safeguard
* Ishaq — A Prophet's name
* Isma'il — A Prophet's name
* Izz al Din — Might of the faith
* Jabbar — Mighty
* Jabir — Consoler, Comforter
* Ja'far — A river. Name of one of the Holy Companions, Sayyidina Ja'far ibn Abu Talib, May Allah be pleased with him.
* Jalal — Tremendous rigor. Glory of the faith.
* Jalil, Jaleel — Great, revered
* Jamal — Beauty
* Jamal al Din — Beauty of the religion
* Jameel, Jamil — Beautiful
* Jawwad — One who possesses tremendous generosity and gives to anyone who needs his assistance.
* Jawhar — Jewel, essence
* Jibril — Archangel of Allah, Gabriel, peace be upon him.
* Jihad — Struggle
* Kadar, Kedar — Powerful
* Kadeen, Kadin — Friend, companion, confidant
* Khadeer, Khadir — Green or green crop (connoting freshnessand innocence)
* Khaliq — Creative, refers to a quality of Allah's Creative attribute.
* Kamal — Perfect one. Attribute of perfection .
* Kameel, Kamil — Perfect; one of the ninety-ninequalities of Allah
* Kareem, Karim — Generous, noble, friendly, preciousand distinguished
* Kaseeb, Kasib — Fertile
* Kaseem, Kasim — Divided
* Katib — Writer
* Khalid — Eternal
* Khalil, Khaleel, Kalil — Intimate friend
* Khatib — One who reads the Khutbah for Jumu'ah or any other Khutbah.
* Khayr al Din — The good of the faith
* Khayri — Charitable, beneficent
* Khuzaymah — Old Arabic name
* Labib — Sensible, intelligent
* Latif — Gentle, kind, pleasant, friendly
* Luqman — Name of the one who Allah has endowed with Hikmah (Divine Wisdom).
* Lutfi — Kind and friendly
* Mahdi — The guided one. Guided to the right path
* Mahir — Skilled
* Mahmud — The praised one; variation of the name "Muhammad"
* Maimun — Lucky
* Majid — Glorious
* Makin — Strong, firm
* Malik — Master, angel, king
* Ma'mun — Trustworthy
* Ma'n — Benefit
* Mansur — Divinely aided
* Marid — Rebellious
* Marzuq — Blessed by Allah, fortunate
* Mash'al — Torch
* Mas'ud — Fortunate, happy, lucky
* Mazin — Proper name
* Misbah — Lamp
* Mu'adh — Protected
* Mu'awiyah — Young fox (first Umayyad Kalifah)
* Mu'ayyad — Supported
* Mubarak — Happy, blessed
* Mufid — Useful
* Muhammad, Muhammad — The Praised one. Proper respect is to be given to this name if one wish to have this as his name. If one wishes to choosethis name for himself, he should have a second name after it. For example,Muhammad Abbas, Muhammad Kamal, but not simply "Muhammad" by itself.
* Muhiyuddin — One who revives the Faith.
* Muhsin — Beneficient, charitable
* Muhtadi — Rightly guided
* Mujahid — Fighter (in the way of Allah)
* Mukhtar — Chosen
* Mundhir — Warner, cautioner
* Munir — Brilliant, shining
* Muntasir — Victorious
* Murtadi — Satisfied, content
* Musa — The name of the Holy Messenger Moses, peace be upon him.
* Mus'ad — Unfettered camel
* Muslim — Submitting oneself to Allah Almighty believing that there is none but Allah and Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah upon him) as His Messenger.
* Mustafa — Chosen one
* Mutahhar — One who purifies
* Mu'tasim — Adhering (to faith, to Allah)
* Mu'tazz — Proud, mighty
* Muti — Obedient
* Muwaffaq — Successful
* Muzzammil — one who is covered, wrapped up.
* Nabhan, Nabih — Noble, outstanding
* Nabil — Noble
* Nadhir — Warner
* Nadim, Nadeem — Friend
* Nadir — Dear, rare
* Na'il — Aquirer, earner
* Naim — Comfort, ease, tranquility
* Naji — Safe
* Najib — Of noble descent
* Najjar — Carpenter
* Najm al Din — Star of the faith
* Nasih — Advisor
* Nasim — Fresh air
* Nasir — Protector
* Nasser — Victorious
* Nawaf, Nawfal — Generous, old Arabic name forthe Sea
* Nazih — Pure, chaste
* Nazim — Arranger, adjuster
* Nuh — Name of the Holy Messenger, Noah, peace is upon him.
* Numair — Panther
* Nu'man — Blood. Name of the great Imam, Abu Hanifa, May Allah bless him.
* Nur, Noor — Light; intense bright light.
* Nur al Din — Brightness of the faith
* Nuri — shining, brightness
* Qadir, Qadeer — power.
* Qasim — Divider, distributor
* Qays — Firm
* Qudamah — Courage
* Rabah — Gainer
* Rabi — spring, breeze
* Rafi — Exalting
* Rafiq — Kind, friend
* Raghib — Desirous
* Ra'id — Leader
* Rais — Captain
* Rakin — Respectful
* Rashad — Integrity of conduct
* Rashid — One of good council; rightly guided, havingtrue faith
* Ratib — Arranger
* Rayhan — favored by Allah
* Reda, Rida, Ridha — (In Allah's) favor; contentment,satisfaction
* Ridwan — Name of the keeperof the gates of Heaven.
* Sabih — Beautiful
* Sabir — Patient. One who perseveres in any and all situations for the sake of Allah.
* Sa'd — Good luck
* Sadaqat — Charity for Allah's sake
* Sadiq, Sadeeq — Friend
* Sa'eed, Sa'id — Happy
* Safi — Righteous, perfect.
* Safi al Din — a perfection of the Faith.
* Safwan — Rocks
* Sakhi — one who is generous.
* Salah — devoted; righteous.
* Salah al Din — devoted to the Faith.
* Saleh, Salih — Good, right
* Salim — Safe, whole, flawless
* Salman — Safe
* Sameh — Forgiver
* Sami — High, lofty, exalted
* Samir — Entertaining companion
* Samman — Grocer
* Saqr — Falcon
* Sariyah — Clouds at night
* Sayyid — Master; Chief. Title for those who descend from Imam Hasan and/or Imam Husain (May Allah bless them both), known as Ahlul-Bayt.
* Sayf, Saif, Seif — Sword (of religion)
* Saif al Din — Sword of the faith
* Shahid — a witness; martyr.
* Shafiq — Compassionate, tender
* Shakir — Thankful. One who thanks Allah
* Sharif — Honest, noble, distinguished
* Shihab — Flame, blaze
* Siddiq, Siddeeq — Truthful one. One who cannot lie
* Siraj — Lamp, light
* Sufian, Sufyan — Devoted
* Subhi — Early morning
* Suhail, Suhayl — Gentle, easy; name of a star
* Suhayb — of reddish hair or complexion
* Sulaiman — the Holy Messenger, Solomon.
* Tahir — Pure, clean
* Talal — Nice, admirable
* Talib — Seeker (of truth). Student. Apprentice.
* Tamir — one who owns date palm trees
* Tamman — Generous
* Tarif — Rare, uncommon
* Tariq — A path
* Tawfiq — Success, reconciliation
* Taymullah — Servant of Allah
* Taysir — Facilitation
* Tayyib — Good or delicate
* Thabit — Firm
Note: Sometimes the spellings begin with an "O" instead of a "U".
* Ubadah, Ubaida, Ubaydah — Servant of Allah
* Ubaid — Faithful
* Ubayy — Old Arabic name
* Umar — Name of the second Rightly Guided Khalifah. One of the greatest companions of Nabi Muhammad (Sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam).
* Umarah — Old Arabic name
* Umayr — Old Arabic name
* Usama, Usamah — Description of a lion
* Utbah — Old Arabic name
* Uthman — One of the companions of the Prophet (pbuh)
* Wafiq — Successful
* Wahab — a giver
* Wahid — Singular, exclusive, unequalled
* Wa'il — coming back (for Shelter)
* Wajih — Noble in countenance.
* Wakil — Protector; representative.
* Waleed, Walid — Newborn child
* Waliyullah — Supporter of Allah
* Wasim — Graceful, good looking
* Wazir — Minister
* Yahyah — Name of "John the Baptist."
* Yaman — Proper name
* Ya'qub — Name of the Prophet "Jacob"
* Yasir, Yasser — Wealth, ease
* Yasin — One of Nabi Muhammad's (peace and blessings of Allah upon him) names
* Yasir — Wealthy
* Yunus — Name of the Prophet "Jonus"
* Yusef, Yusuf — Arabic form of "Joseph"
* Yusuf — A Prophet's name (Joseph)
* Zafir — Victorious
* Zahid — Self-denying or ascetic
* Zahir — Bright, shining
* Zaid — Increase, growth
* Zain — Beauty, Decoration, Ornament
* Zakariyya — A Prophet's name ("Zaccharius")
* Zakiyy — Pure
* Zuhair, Zuhayr — Bright