ElaKiri Community
Downloads
Go Back   ElaKiri Community > General > Sports
Reload this Page ..::Football IV::..

(#101)
Old
Wolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2016, 10:09 AM

Carrick: Winning FA Cup would make United's season a success

Michael Carrick said winning the FA Cup would make Manchester United's season a successful one after they booked their spot in the final with Saturday's 2-1 win over Everton.

United have struggled in other competitions this season, facing an uphill battle to finish in the Premier League's top four having looked like title contenders in November.The Red Devils also exited the Champions League at the group stage before being dumped from the Europa League by arch rivals Liverpool.

Manager Louis van Gaal faces an uncertain future at the club, but Carrick said the season would not constitute a failure if he could lead United to their first FA Cup triumph since 2004.

"The FA Cup is the FA Cup regardless of everything else," he told reporters. "We're in the final now and we have a chance. We're not getting carried away because it's a final and anything can happen.

"But in terms of the season, if you win the FA Cup, then it's a successful season in some right."United earned the right to return to Wembley to contest the final against either Crystal Palace or Watford - who play the other semi-final on Sunday - thanks to Anthony Martial's injury-time winner.

The Frenchman's intervention after United came under serious pressure from Everton in the second half ensured the club moved into the final on a day where Carrick said the only thing that mattered was winning.

"You expect [Everton] to come forward in the second half because it's a cup semi-final and they've caused us some problems," the midfielder added. "But to win like we did was a phenomenal feeling.

"Today was about getting through regardless of the performance."
(#102)
Old
Wolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond reputeWolverine GTR has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2016, 10:10 AM

Klopp: I feel trophy-winning power at Liverpool

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp feels silverware is within the club's reach ahead of their Europa League semi-final against Villarreal.

Klopp has only been at Anfield since October but he is confident he can establish the sort of title-winning prowess he had at Borussia Dortmund, who his side knocked out of the European competitions in the quarter-finals."I feel there is a power at this club," he said.

"I felt it when we played Dortmund at Anfield and I saw it in the streets before the game. I believe that there are some clubs who are always more likely to win trophies than other clubs.

"I don't know where that comes from, but I felt it for the first time when I was at Dortmund. Michael Zorc [sporting director at BVB] told me when Bayer Leverkusen were breathing down our necks at the end of one season that I shouldn't worry.

"He said they wouldn't win because Leverkusen never win and that Dortmund were a club that wins titles. I feel that at Liverpool, and I think the supporters do too."

The German also insisted that winning the Europa League should not be considered a lesser feat, despite the competition's reputation in the English game."I heard that the image of the Europa League was not good in England and I don't really understand why," Klopp said.

"The players have liked it, and I would have been happy with the Europa League even if we'd gone out in the quarter-finals. It was a nice journey, a good experience.

"Usually you work the whole year to go to Europe so to be in it was a nice bonus. I know the top four is the top four, but if you are fifth, take it, use it, do whatever. I like playing matches, whatever the competition."
(#103)
Old

04-25-2016, 10:11 AM

Fosu-Mensah thanks De Gea for penalty save

Manchester United defender Timothy Fosu-Mensah thanked goalkeeper David de Gea for making a crucial penalty save in his side's 2-1 FA Cup semi-final win over Everton on Saturday.

The 18-year-old gave away a spot kick with United 1-0 up in the second half when he fouled Ross Barkley, but the Spaniard got down low to his right to turn away Romelu Lukaku's effort.

Everton went on to level later in any case, but Fosu-Mensah was glad to have his blushes spared by De Gea.United won the game in the injury time thanks to Anthony Martial's clinical finish.

"Thank you David," the Dutch defender tweeted after the game.Fosu-Mensah said he was learning with every passing game at United and thanked his team-mates for supporting him."It's very big for a young boy [to play for Manchester United], I just turned 18 two months ago," he told reporters after the game.

"But I have the right players around me. Players like Daley [Blind], Wayne [Rooney], [Michael] Carrick and [Chris] Smalling. They all help me.

"The manager helps me, [assistant manager Ryan] Giggs, everyon helps, so I'm happy with the support I get and I try and learn every day because I can learn a lot still."

Veteran midfielder Michael Carrick joined Fosu-Mensah in praising De Gea, but was mainly relieved to progress to the final.

"They scored after the penalty anyway, and when they scored, I thought we had come back into the game a bit more, but Dave has been making saves like that for so many years now," Carrick said."I'd prefer if he had quieter games to be honest."
(#104)
Old

04-25-2016, 10:13 AM

Matuidi: I will always support my brother Sakho

France midfielder Blaise Matuidi says he will always support his "brother"Mamadou Sakho after his international team-mate failed a drugs test.

UEFA confirmed on Saturday that Liverpool defender Sakho tested positive for a banned substance after his club's Europa League fixture against Manchester United last month.

While the 26-year-old has not been formally suspended at this stage, his club have determined that he will not be considered for first-team duties until the matter is resolved. It is thought that Liverpool will request the testing of a B sample.

Sakho's participation at Euro 2016 is therefore in doubt, something that has left Paris Saint-Germain star and close friend Matuidi "very sad".

Speaking after PSG's Coupe de la Ligue final win over Lille on Saturday, Matuidi said: "I don't really know the full story, but it's true if Sakho wouldn't be selected for the Euros, I would be very sad.

"I consider him as a brother and I'll always support him."I know he is very professional, very honest, he's a warrior and I hope everything will go well."
(#105)
Old

04-25-2016, 10:14 AM

Sunderland 0-0 Arsenal: Gunners held as Black Cats earn crucial point

Sunderland climbed out of the Premier League relegation zone after holding Arsenal to a 0-0 draw at the Stadium of Light.

Sam Allardyce's men have moved above Norwich City into 17th place on goal difference after a spirited performance against the Gunners in which they created the better chances to win.

Arsenal, for whom Jack Wilshere made a first appearance of the season, started strongly, but struggled to break down a resilient home side who were happy to sit deep for much of the first half.

It was Sunderland who came closest to breaking the deadlock as Patrick van Aanholt hit the woodwork with a free-kick, before Per Mertesacker and DeAndre Yedlin both escaped conceding a penalty for blocking the ball with a raised arm inside the area.

Sunderland sensed a potential upset and showed more attacking intent in the second half, with Petr Cech saving well from Wahbi Khazri and Jermain Defoe in particular, before Arsene Wenger introduced Theo Walcott and Danny Welbeck in a bid to find a winner that would have gone a long way towards guaranteeing a top-four finish.

Arsenal controlled the early stages and Alex Iwobi came close to an opener with just four minutes played, firing narrowly wide of Vito Mannone's right-hand post after combining well with Alexis Sanchez.Sunderland seemed to have shaken off some early nerves and came inches from taking the lead, with Van Aanholt clipping the crossbar with a curling free-kick.

Sanchez had Mannone at full stretch from a similar distance and the former Arsenal goalkeeper denied Iwobi from the resulting corner, clawing the ball away from goal as the Nigeria forward looked to turn home.

Defoe, left isolated for much of the half, saw his frustrations increase as he fired Hector Bellerin's poor clearance straight into Mertesacker's raised arm, only for referee Mike Dean to wave away his appeals for a penalty.

And Iwobi was aggrieved not to earn a spot-kick for Arsenal just before the break after his shot struck the arm of the sliding Yedlin following Olivier Giroud's superb lay-off.

Sunderland came to life after the break, with Cech denying the home side three times in just a couple of minutes. First, he parried Defoe's fierce half-volley before turning Yann M'Vila's deflected rebound past the post, and the Arsenal keeper had to be at full stretch to keep Khazri's low shot from creeping into his bottom-right corner.

The home side continued to press, but Arsenal's threat on the counter kept the game very much open. Iwobi sliced horribly wide after Giroud had picked him out at the far post with Mannone off his line, before Defoe lobbed the ball over Cech and narrowly past the far post.

Arsenal threw on Walcott and Welbeck in pursuit of a winner. And the latter was frustrated not to win a free-kick from a clumsy Younes Kaboul challenge after Mannone misjudged a charge off his line.

Mannone responded to keep out a crisp Sanchez strike with just four minutes to play, and Sunderland held firm for a deserved draw that gives them real hope of beating the drop. The Gunners, meanwhile, must continue to look nervously over their shoulder towards Manchester United in fifth.
(#106)
Old

04-25-2016, 10:15 AM

Crystal Palace 2-1 Watford: Eagles book place in FA Cup final

Crystal Palace edged Watford 2-1 at Wembley to book an FA Cup final date with Manchester United and a revenge mission for Alan Pardew.

The Eagles will now go on to play United, who beat Everton in the other semi-final, in May in a repeat of the 1990 FA Cup final between the two sides when Pardew was on the losing end as a Palace player after a replay.

Palace took the lead after just six minutes through Yannick Bolasie, who stabbed home from close range after Damien Delaney flicked on a Yohan Cabaye corner.

Troy Deeney, Watford's two-goal match-winner at Selhurst Park in the Premier League earlier this season, responded 10 minutes after the interval, but Connor Wickham soon nodded Palace back ahead before Quique Sanchez Flores' side could even think about building on their goal.

Defeat against Palace will raise further questions about Flores' future at Watford, with reports suggesting the Hornets were already contemplating replacing him prior to how they got on in the FA Cup semi-finals.

And though Palace's league campaign fizzled into a somewhat fraught battle for survival, their season could yet end in glory at the national stadium against Louis van Gaal's United next month.

Watford's Cup goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon had already flapped under one corner when Cabaye's delivery was flicked on by Delaney and the totally unmarked Bolasie stooped to snatch an early lead after six minutes.

Palace's fans were sent into high-decibel raptures and their team immediately camped on the counter-attack, with Bolasie and Wilfried Zaha's pace a simmering threat.

Joel Ward almost turning into his own net was Watford’s best chance in the opening period before Flores was forced into a midfield change when Etienne Capoue suffered a knee injury and was replaced by Mario Suarez.

Palace were perhaps unlucky not to have been awarded a penalty when Zaha's cross struck the hand of Nathan Ake, but the referee waved away their protests.

Though the atmosphere inside Wembley remained at fever pitch, there was little to shout about as Watford failed to turn possession into penetration and Palace's final ball was lacking when they made tracks in wide areas.Watford came out for the second half with added cutting edge, though, and they swiftly got back on level terms as the affair kicked into life.

Jose Manuel Jurado swung in a corner from the same flank that Palace had scored from as Deeney got ahead of Scott Dann to glance a header past a motionless Wayne Hennessey.However, parity was maintained for less than six minutes as Wickham outmuscled Ake under a looping Pape Souare cross and steered his header into the corner.

Watford shook off their possession-focused shackles to charge forward in the final 10 minutes, but Odion Ighalo wastefully blazed over from inside the box and Hennessey was equal to Jurado's 25-yard snapshot.

Adlene Guedioura scuffed wide late on as Palace were able to hang on and celebrate victory at Wembley, just like did in the Championship play-off final between the sides in 2013.

Having seen his West Ham side lose the 2006 final against Liverpool, Pardew now has the chance to get his hands of the FA Cup once again when his charges lock horns with United.
(#107)
Old

04-25-2016, 10:16 AM

Hazard: Chelsea hope Leicester beat Tottenham to Premier League title

Eden Hazard says Chelsea's players would rather see Leicester City win the Premier League than rivals Tottenham.Chelsea are set to have a major influence on the next destination of the title they won last term, despite turning in a mediocre campaign as champions.

Spurs travel to Stamford Bridge next weekend, before Claudio Ranieri's side are the visitors on the final day of the season.And Hazard says the Blues will be going full pelt to prevent Mauricio Pochettino's side overhauling Leicester's lead at the top.

"We don't want Tottenham to win the Premier League - the fans, the club and the players," Hazard told Chelsea's official website.

"In football you never know, we hope for Leicester because they deserve to be champions but we will see. "We have a big game next week against Tottenham and if we can beat them it will be good."Hazard scored his first Premier League goals of the season in Saturday's 4-1 win at AFC Bournemouth, as a miserable season for him personally, as well as the club, winds down.

"It's been a while so I'm happy," Hazard said. "I've worked hard in the last month to be fit, I'm happy to be playing again and to be on the scoresheet. It's good for me and the club.

"They [the players] are with me and I like the support I have. It's important to feel that you are in a good team with good guys."We didn't play well this season, everybody knows that. But now we have four games left to play and enjoy."
(#108)
Old

04-25-2016, 10:18 AM

Leicester City 4-0 Swansea City: Ulloa shines in Vardy's absence to keep Foxes on track

Leonardo Ulloa proved an able deputy for Jamie Vardy as Leicester City took a huge step towards the Premier League title with a nerveless 4-0 win over Swansea City on Sunday.

Claudio Ranieri's side were without their top scorer Vardy after his dismissal in last week's draw with West Ham, but Riyad Mahrez's early opener, a double from Ulloa either side of half-time and a late Marc Albrighton strike ensured they got back to winning ways and piled the pressure on Tottenham once more.

Mahrez is hot favourite to be named PFA Player of the Year later on Sunday, and it was the Algerian's 17th league goal of the season that set Leicester on their way, as he capitalised on a glaring error from Ashley Williams to open the scoring after 10 minutes.

Ulloa - who was forced off late on with a knock to the back - then powered Danny Drinkwater's free-kick past the helpless Lukasz Fabianski on the half-hour mark, and the Argentine's second 15 minutes after the restart sent the King Power Stadium into raptures before substitute Albrighton rifled in a fourth late on.

Victory puts Leicester eight points clear of second-placed Tottenham, who can again cut the gap to five by beating West Brom at home on Monday.

Should Spurs drop points, though, Leicester would seal a remarkable maiden top-flight title by winning at the home of 20-time champions Manchester United next Sunday.Despite a confident start to Sunday's game from Swansea, their good work was undone by their captain's carelessness.

Williams gifted the ball to Mahrez around 20 yards out, and Leicester's dangerman advanced into the area before dipping inside onto his favoured left foot and coolly placing a shot beyond Fabianski at his near post.That settled any early nerves at the King Power and the hosts' advantage was doubled in the 30th minute.

While Ulloa may not boast the pace and dynamism of Vardy, his aerial prowess was there for all to see when he climbed highest to head Drinkwater's excellent delivery home.

Swansea could have responded immediately, but Federico Fernandez failed where Ulloa succeeded as he nodded Gylfi Sigurdsson's set-piece over from close range.Leicester, roared on by the home fans, set about putting the game completely beyond doubt in the second half – and it was Ulloa who did just that on the hour.

Jeffrey Schlupp charged down the left and eventually found the right pass to Ulloa, who slid in at the back post to convert from no more than two yards.

The Foxes were rampant now and Schlupp, Shinji Okazaki and Andy King - on for Ulloa - went close to adding a fourth, before Albrighton did so in the 85th minute by lashing home after a scramble in the Swansea area to put Leicester within touching distance of history.
(#109)
Old

04-25-2016, 10:19 AM

Mahrez: I got lucky against Swansea

Riyad Mahrez admitted he got lucky in scoring Leicester City's opener against Swansea City on Sunday.

Claudio Ranieri's team took a huge step towards the Premier League title by overpowering Swansea with a nerveless 4-0 victory at the King Power Stadium.

The win restores their eight-point cushion on second-placed Tottenham, who host West Brom on Monday, and the Foxes were set on their way by Mahrez's 17th league goal of the season, which came in the 10th minute.

Swansea skipper Ashley Williams gifted the ball to Mahrez on the edge of the area, and he dipped inside onto his left foot before firing past Lukasz Fabianski.

The Algerian, who is odds-on favourite to be named PFA Player of the Year later on Sunday, was quick to downplay his contribution after the game, preferring to focus on his team-mates' efforts.

"I went to press and I got a bit lucky," Mahrez told Sky Sports about his goal.

"After that I saw the gap and I shot. It was a difficult game and now we have three games to go and we're all working for each other."

Leicester's comprehensive victory was all the more impressive as it was earned without their suspended top scorer Jamie Vardy.

Mahrez added: "In this team we don't need just one player - we're all together, we have team spirit and we work together.

"Sometimes I have to score, or Vards, or Leo [Ulloa, who scored twice on Sunday], but it's all about the team.

"We needed this win. We just focus on ourselves - we have everything in our hands."

When asked if he expects his day to get even better by him landing the top prize at the PFA Awards, Mahrez replied: "I don't know, we will see! We're going to have a good night."
(#110)
Old

04-25-2016, 10:20 AM

Wenger fears losing top-four place

Arsene Wenger has conceded he fears for Arsenal's top-four security after Sunday's 0-0 draw against Sunderland.

Arsenal failed to break down the Black Cats, whose point at the Stadium of light lifted them out of the Premier League's bottom three.Petr Cech had to save sharp efforts from Wahbi Khazri and Jermain Defoe, with Arsenal failing to fashion the same clear-cut chances of their opponents.

The result leaves Arsenal fourth, five points clear of Manchester United - who have a game in hand - leaving Wenger fearful of a run-in that features games against fellow European chasers Manchester City and relegation-threatened Norwich City.
When asked if he was worried Arsenal could lose their top-four spot, Wenger said: "Yes, of course. We care about that and we worry about it as well because it's a fight.

"There are two leagues at the moment: the teams who are taking it a little bit easier - you see some games and you think you would like to play them now, the teams who are safe and are not going for Europe, and then you have the teams who are going for something at the front and the teams who are fighting not to go down, and they are different games.

"It is frustrating because we play to win the title and the fact that we do not win it is of course frustrating, like it is for many other teams."A team like Sunderland is ready to fight for their lives, and of course they will never give up during the 90 minutes.

"They started with a bit of anxiety and we had to take advantage of that level of anxiety they had at the start of the game, but we couldn't and you know with the fact that you have played Sunday, Thursday, today that you could suffer a little bit physically in the second half and that's what happened. "Then the game was much more difficult for us."