Downloads
Go Back   ElaKiri Community > Computers & Internet > News & Discussion
Reload this Page Firefox 3 Memory Usage

(#1)
Old
chamithal is an unknown quantity at this point

Firefox 3 Memory Usage - 03-12-2008, 10:17 PM

Firefox 3 Memory Usage

As the web and web browsers have matured, people have started expecting different things out of them. When we first released Firefox, few people were browsing with tabs or add-ons. I’ve written before about how web usage patterns have changed, so too have our strategies on how to effectively make use of system resources such as memory.

While Firefox 2 used less memory than it’s predecessor, Firefox 1.5, we intentionally restricted the number of changes to the Gecko platform (Gecko 1.8.1 was only slightly different than Gecko 1.8) on which Firefox was built. However, while the majority of people were working on Firefox 2 / Gecko 1.8.1, others of us were already ripping into the platform that Firefox 3 was to be built on: Gecko 1.9.

We’ve made more significant changes to the platform than I can count, including many to reduce our memory footprint. The result has been dramatic, and you can see for yourself by getting a copy of the recently released Firefox 3 Beta 4.

Read it Full

- Thanx Anusha 4 showin me ths....
(#2)
Old
cha_sl is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to cha_sl Send a message via Yahoo to cha_sl Send a message via Skype™ to cha_sl
03-12-2008, 10:25 PM

Firefox 3 Beta 4 Memory results ..

(#3)
Old

03-12-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha_sl
Firefox 3 Beta 4 Memory results ..

sm thing is wrng with either u or ur system..

(#4)
Old
cha_sl is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to cha_sl Send a message via Yahoo to cha_sl Send a message via Skype™ to cha_sl
03-12-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamithal
he hee.. maybe Firefox doesn't like me any more..
(#5)
Old

03-12-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha_sl
he hee.. maybe Firefox doesn't like me any more..
lol.... if u dnt like Firefox go for Opera... ppl say itz faster.... I'm too much used to FF so can't change.... + I really like the way Firefox manages RSS...
(#6)
Old
Anusha is on a distinguished road

03-12-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:

How many tabs do you have open, laptop boy? And how long have you been running that instance of Firefox?

Been running Opera Kestrel instance for moer than 7.5 hours and i've opened a zillion webpages and it is using 112MB of RAM.
(#7)
Old

03-13-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anusha
How many tabs do you have open, laptop boy? And how long have you been running that instance of Firefox?

Been running Opera Kestrel instance for moer than 7.5 hours and i've opened a zillion webpages and it is using 112MB of RAM.
man, i think I had about 6 or 7 tabs opened.... and I've been running Firefox for about atleast 3 hours..... yaha.... I've even browsed a lot of pages... But I dnt use much extensions.. (actually I use 1 - flashget) n tht also may be a reason ne.....
(#8)
Old
zed is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to zed
03-13-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Firefox 3 Memory Usage

As the web and web browsers have matured, people have started expecting different things out of them. When we first released Firefox, few people were browsing with tabs or add-ons. I’ve written before about how web usage patterns have changed, so too have our strategies on how to effectively make use of system resources such as memory.

While Firefox 2 used less memory than it’s predecessor, Firefox 1.5, we intentionally restricted the number of changes to the Gecko platform (Gecko 1.8.1 was only slightly different than Gecko 1.8) on which Firefox was built. However, while the majority of people were working on Firefox 2 / Gecko 1.8.1, others of us were already ripping into the platform that Firefox 3 was to be built on: Gecko 1.9.

We’ve made more significant changes to the platform than I can count, including many to reduce our memory footprint. The result has been dramatic, and you can see for yourself by getting a copy of the recently released Firefox 3 Beta 4.

Read it Full

- Thanx Anusha 4 showin me ths....
ram 1k thiyenne use keranne misak mal thyela wadinned
(#9)
Old
nagaya is a jewel in the roughnagaya is a jewel in the roughnagaya is a jewel in the roughnagaya is a jewel in the roughnagaya is a jewel in the roughnagaya is a jewel in the rough

03-13-2008, 07:04 AM

yeah for 7 tabs it used about 70MB,appo api 32MB RAM thibba kale ehemanam iwarai,eth api ee PC walinuth niyameta internet usekala Netscape 4/IE4->6
(#10)
Old

03-13-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed
ram 1k thiyenne use keranne misak mal thyela wadinned
no comments.......... poor uneducated dumb developers are developing Firefox to consume less memory ne?